You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00064 Jan 2004

Jan 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Sriram Ranganathan wrote:

> Stotram. These references point to the common features of the
> back-to-back
> forms of Sudarsana and Narasimha. The back-to-back forms of Sudarsana
> Narasimhar are seen in a single Peetam at the Srirangam Temple
> (ChakrathAzhwAr Sannidhi). Sudarsana-Narasimha SaaLagramam provides
> further
> testimony to the worship of this form of Lord Narasimhar.
> -Unquote
>
> -adiyEn
> Sriram
>
> Sri:
> Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha:
> Srimathe Ranga Ramanuja MahaDesikaye Namaha:
>
> What is the thathvam behind Chakkarathalvar, who is
> always seen with Nrusimhar.We have Nrusimhar moolavar
> alone, is there any place where Chakkarathalvar
> moolavar is alone. Please clarify.
>

> Adiyen
> Srikrishna dasan

Dear Sudarsana bhaktas

         The  back-to-back aspect of Chakrattalwar and AzhagiaSingar is
elaborately described in the 26th Adhyayam of Ahirbudhnya samhita. More
closely, Sri Koora NarayaNa Jeeyar has clearly offered four shlokas in Sri
sudarsana Satakam viz., 'gAyatrarNAra chakre' 96, 'pAschAthyAsoka' 97,
'rakthAsokasya' 98,  and 'prANe dattaprayANe' 99. More specifically we may
consider the third shlokam here. We do not come across such shlokams
describing this dual aspect in the works of any other acharya.

rakthAsokasya vedasya cha nihitapadam praptashAkhasya moole
chakrAIrastrAI: tadAdyaIrapi mahita chatur-dvischatur-bAhudaNDam
prAsInaM bhAsamAnaM sthithamapi bhayatha: trAyathAm tatvamekam
paschAt poorvatra bhAge sphuta nara harithAmAnusham jAnushAdva:

This shlokam describes the yantraswarUpam 'sudarsana nArasimhar' in
intermingled interlaced fashion.

paschAt bhAge praptashAkhasya rakthAsokasya moole nihitapadam
chakrAI: mahita chatur-bAhudaNDam  prAsInaM bhAsamAnaM

api cha

poorvatra bhAge  praptashAkhasya vedasya moole  nihitapadam,
tadAdyaIrapi astrAI:  mahita dvischatur-bAhudaNDam sthitham
bhAsamAnaM

sphuta naraharithA-mAnusham tatvam ekam
va: jAnushAt bhayatha: trAyatAm.

Meaning: That single principle manifesting in the form of man-lion and
man with the former (man-lion) form, in the posterior (back) side shining
in a seated  posture, under the numerously branched huge red  asoka  tree,
weilding Chakra in all the four arms; and with the latter human form, in
the  anterior (front) side, shining in a standing posture under the
numerously  branched tree of the Vedas (omkara) at the root, weilding
chakram and other weapons in the eight arms (not sixteen)

may protect you from the fear arising from birth.

Thus sudarsana and nrisimha are actually inseperable entities, two sides
of the same coin according to Lord Siva in ahirbudhnya samhita. Bhaktas
with access to that samhita (26th adhyaya) may throw more light on this.

Adiyen
Ramanuja dasan

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: