You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00068 Jan 2004

Jan 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhagavatas:
On the efficacy of Group chanting, please read the following excerpts from my
book "Hinduism Rediscovered". This is to supplement Sri M.K.Sudarshan's
observations on the subject (given below).
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
"While extolling the efficacy of Bhajan - a congregational singing of
the names of the Lord, Thayumanavar observes that the involvement transports
each individual in the group into a rhapsody that ripens towards salvation.
"IN A BUNCH, ONE RIPE BANANA WARMS AND RIPENS ALL OTHERS".
--- In SriRangaSri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ram Anbil" <Ramanbil@xxxx> wrote:
I stumbled upon this article in today's issue of "The Plain Dealer" newspaper
of Cleveland.
KIRTAN CALL
They're terrified of coming across as Hare Krishnas," he wrote recently in a
research paper on kirtan, completed as part of his yoga instructor training.
"But we can show the world it's not silly cultish behavior."
-------------------------------

Dear Sri Anbil svAmi,

Very interesting article. It is true that people are very shy to sing
out aloud because they would appear to be "silly". But in
a 'satsangh' everyone gradually overcomes self-conscious feelings.

Here in Kuwait, we have a small group of 15 to 20 'vedadhyAyin-s' who
meet once a month in each other's home by turns. The group chants
Vedic passages from the Upanishads, the "sUktams", "namakkam", "chamakam". They
also recite the "divya-prabhandhams" and "stOtras" of AchAryas like Swami
Venkatanathan, Manavala mamuni and AdiSankara bhagavathpAdA. IN the beginning
the learners here too were diffident and unsure of themselves. It also
seemed "silly" to be chanting Vedic passages without knowing the
meaning. But now they are very proficient in Vedic chanting and enjoy
full throated "pArAyaNam" even though the meaning may not be clear.
The power of "veda sabda" to uplift and energize is never in doubt
now.

This has been a regular practice for over 3 years now. Everyone is
quite involved in it and the level of enthusiasm is quite high. It is
all due to "bhagavath sankalpam" that the 'satsangh' here has gone
from strength to strength.

Thanks and regards,
dAsan,
Sudarshan