You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00087 Jan 2004

Jan 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Shri Srinath,

Sri GodA's tiruppAvai is a master piece of entire nAlAyiram.  Our AchAryAs
have bestowed on us various vyAkyAnams.  One such describes that tiruppAvai
explains Artha Pancakam ie. Five points 1) What is the nature of Paramatma
2) What is the nature of Jivatma 3) What are the ways to attain salvation 4)
What do we enjoy upon salvation 5) what are the hindrances in attaining
salvation.  The first 5 verses describes the nature of paramatma who has
five forms namely para (vaikunta nathan), vyuha (ksherrabdi - parkadal
nathan), antaryami (our inner dweller), vibhava (avatar like vamanan) and
archa (srirangam, kancheepuram etc).  The next 10 verses describes jivatma
who has slept forgetting our spiritual duties and association with the Lord.
That's where AndAL awakens them up.  The next 5 verses describes ways to
attain salvation (vAyinAl padi, manathinAl sindithu, thooya malar thoovi
thozhudu).  Another 5 verses describe the obstacles in attaining salvation
and the last 2 describes the anubhavam of salvation (ettraikkum ezh ezh
piravikkum - kaimkaryam).

In this pasuram (amkaN ma), AndAL requests "sabham izhidal" from God.
sAbham are sins done by this jIvAtma during thousands of previous births due
to ignorance and which are forced upon the jIvAtmAs.  And those sins are the
one which blocks us from getting attached with the god.  Moreover, AndAL did
not had the grace to be present when Krishna was there in gokulam and
aaypadi.  Also, she refers here to the great kings who have shed their ego
as kings and have come and sat near your throne.  AndAL has no such ego,
hence Swamy Periyavachan Pillai questions himself "what abimanam AndAL has
to shed" ?  Until now, she was waiting for Lord to come and marry her as it
is not customary for girls to go to the boy's house.  Now, after realising
this eternal union with Lord, she has shed even that abimAnam.  Sabham word
refers to "not deserving".  One of the Lord's kalyana guna is "sowhartam or
nirhetuka krupa".  Upon a bakthas sincere prayers, he wipes out our
"disqualification".

In the other verse where she mentions "punniyam yam udayom".  If you refer
to earlier words "unthannai piravi perunthanai", she says we have not
accumulated "punniyam".  Having yourself born in our aayar kulam, we are
blessed with punniyam.  Since you have chosen to born in our idayar kulam,
we are blessed.

Similarly, nammAzhwar prays to Lord "ozhivil kala mellam udanAi manni
vazhuvilla adimai seyya vendum".  Azhwar requests that he wants to do
unblemished kaimkaryam to Lord in the past, present and future. The Lord
gets stunned and ask Azhwar that it is reasonable to ask in present and
future, how I can change your past ?  Lord Rama while returning with piratti
from Lanka says "I lost you for 10 months and got you back, I can even bring
back Ravana after killing him (bless him with good birth if he realises his
mistake), but I can't bring back the lost 10 months, where I missed you".
The Lord who dictates kalam himself says "I can't change the past or lost
time".  Azhwar says I don't want the time which has past. I want the past
deeds not to dictate me now or forget that in the past, I was not in the
nitya kaimkaryam to the Lord.  Even so many of us, after getting involved in
the amrutham of kaimkaryam or pooja, laments that we had lost so many years
of this service.  Even when we wanted, something had blocked us from doing
that's the sApam, what AndAL says when you look on us with both of your eyes
as sun and moon (sun removes darkness or ignorance and moon provides
coolness or mayar vara mathi nalam), all our sabham are destroyed.

I hope other learned baghavatas in this list will provide more explanation.

namO nArAyanA

G. Sundarrajan