You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jun 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00014 Jun 2006

Jun 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest all,

After Nammazhwar anubhavams of Thiruvaymozhi [on
Thiruvenkatamudaiyaan], let us take up his other works
namely Tiruviruttham and Periya anthAthi.

Today?s verse on ThiruvEnkatam from this wonderful
work is the 67th verse of Tiruviruttham
Let us continue to enjoy.

kaaviyum nIlamum vElum
 kayalum palapalavenRu,
aaviyin thanmai aLavalla
 paarippu, asurarseRRa
maaviyam puLvalla maadhavan
 gOvindhan vEngadamsEr
thUviyam pEdaiyan NnaaL,kaNga
 Laaya thuNaimalarE. 67

The friend [of the our naayakan] tells our naayakan
[hero] ?you have never ever felt so depressed and your
mind which is ever firm- is now caught and captivated
by this girl?s enchanting beautiful eyes. How does he
lose himself at those darting, beautiful eyes ?
explains the man to his friend is the basis of this
verse.

The girl- whom I have seen  at ThiruvEnkatam- even my
life is not equal to the beauty of her eyes. Her eyes
alone are enough for drinking my life and taking it
away.

This is what the naayakan says:

Emperumaan Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan rides on the
most strongest divine Garuda bird and destroys the
asura clan. His divine name is Maadhavan [meaning:
LakshmI nAthan and the One who is always with SrI; SrI
Nivaasan]; Isn?t He Govindhan who reared the cattle?
This Lord?s residence ? ThiruvEnkatam is where my
beloved girl lives in. She is beautiful like a swan
and her pair of eyes is like the two lotus flowers- I
would say. Her eyes even conquer effortlessly the blue
hued neydhal flowers; the red lily; the spears, the
beautiful fishes, the deer?s eyes etc.. These darting
eyes torture my soul and win over me. She does not
have to take this much effort to destroy me and drink
my life with her beautiful eyes.

Inner meaning: Bhaagawathas describe the jnAna and
greatness of Sri NammAzhwAr.
Thoovi ampaedai annaal- He is pristinely pure like the
swan;- suddha satthva thirumEni;
jnAna, anushtAnam are both important for SadAcharya;
NammAzhwAr shines with both jnAnam and ansuhtAnam.

kaNN kaaviyai veldhal- jnAnam conquers rajO guNa;
neelam- jnAnam conquers thamO guNa;
vEl- spear- jnAnam conquers sattva guNa and
is resplendent with suddha sattvam.
Kayal- fish- He has conquered the fickle mind
[sanchalam] and shines with parama vairAgyam.

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam,
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan