You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2001

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00015 Mar 2001

Mar 2001 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
srimathe ramanujAya namaha
srimathe nigamantha maha desikaya namaha

Dear Sri Narender Reddy,

Thank you for you inputs. You have asked good questions regarding the usage of the term idol. I do not intend to be a part of the discussion on this topic, but you had mentioned in your email that :

>Yes, in the age of Kali yuga, when a majority of the
>so called Sri Vaishnavas are celebrating the mid night
>of January first (Christian New Year) as their own New
>Year, and celebrating the Christian Millennium as
>their own sending Christian Millennium greetings to
>one another (even on the internet), I guess God could
>be reduced to that of an "IDOL."

Ahem, I stand to differ. First of all There is nothing called the "Christian New Year" as you opine. It is true that the earth takes 365 odd days to complete one revolution around the sun. This one complete Revolution is taken as the standard "year". There is nothing Christian about it. It is scientifically valid. This was not suggested by Saint.X or Saint.Y or Saint.Z.

It was Aryabhatta, the ancient Hindu Mathematician who was the first to Calculate how many days the earth takes to travel around the Sun. He calculated it to be 365days 6 hours 12 minutes 30 seconds. The standard taken now is 365 days and 6 hours.
From this it is clear that our pUrvAcharyas had solid knowledge of mathematics.

You may wish to visit the link on Aryabhatta:
http://www-groups.dcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Aryabhata_I.html

***The Calendar at present is a modification of the calculations of Aryabhatta. It was first modified by the Romans, which is why the months of July and August are named after Roman Emperors. The emperors are Julius Caesar and Augustus Caesar Respectively. For your information, The Romans were not Christians, infact some roman dictator ordered the persecution of Jesus.****

The contributions of our pUrvAcharyas to the field of mathematics are like pillars supporting the roof. It is only due to our acharyas that there are advances in all field of science known to humanity. Without mathematics, you would not be reading this email message on your computer screen, pay credit card bills, or click on the mouse which will bein your right hand now.

It is noteworthy to mention Pierre Laplace quotations on Hindu Mathematics:

"The ingenious method of expressing every possible number using a set of ten symbols (each symbol having a place valueand an absolute value) emerged in India. The idea seems so simple nowadays that its significance and profound importance is no longer appreciated. Its simplicity lies in the way it facilitated calculation and placed arithmetic foremost amongst useful inventions. the importance of this invention is more readily appreciated when one considers that it was beyond the two greatest men of Antiquity, Archimedes and Apollonius"

Laplace implies that there can be nothing great than Hindu mathematics.
I highly suggest you visit the following link to learn more about Hindu mathematics.

http://www-groups.dcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Indian_mathematics.html

kavi taarkika simhaaya kalyaana gunashaaline
srimathe venkateshaya vedanta gurave namaha

Adiyen Ramanuja Daasan,

Malolan Cadambi,
Dept. of Electrical Engineering,
Iowa State University.