You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00022 Mar 2007

Mar 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Post 39

Dear Sri vaishnava perunthagaiyeer,

In the previous 38 posts, we saw 'lakshmaNa' donning 11 roles. The study on the 11 th role of the 'minister' or counsel is continuing. We saw how the 'minister' lakshmaNa pacified the 'ferocious raama' swinging to take action against vanEcharaa: – turning raama's attention to fight against that person who was the cause for disappearance of seethaa from raama's aasramam.

That 'lakshmaNa geethaa' is a chapter worth doing a small research in lines of bhagavadh geethaa. I hope somebody, who has good knowledge in geethaa and also a member in one of our lists will come forward to do that research. We will advance now in the series.

King sugreeva has given information to raama that raavaNa abducted seethaa and raavaNa carried her in southern direction. Raama also completed the major task of installing sugreeva in the throne after eliminating vaali. [the commitment raama made to sugreeva while finalising the friendship treaty]. After this immediately was onset of monsoon. Raama was very much upset due to the rainy season, during which, he thought, his mission 'search seethaa' will not take off.

LakshmaNa, the counsel, again suggested the following to pacify raama from the sufferings on account of 'separation' from seethaa. What lakshmaNa speaks here can best be described as the 'a grand motivational theory' to say in modern management parlance.

tham s Ochamaanam kaakuthstham nithyam sOka paraayaNam |

thulya dhu:khO~ abraveedh bhraataa lakshmaNO anunayam vacha: || 4-27-33

meaning: While pacifying Raama, who is pensive, and who is always subjected to grief, his brother LakshmaNa, who is similarly sad 'on account of his brother's sadness' spoke these words.

Point: see lakshmaNa is sad because his brother raama is sad [on account of separation from seethaa]. This is what we have seen in that angry young brother's role also. When raama is sad or upset lakshmaNa also becomes upset. LakshmaNa is not sad because of separation from his wife oormiLa, but because raama is upset.

In spite of that sadness in himself, lakshmaNa, as a counsel is so effective. See below for yourself.

alam veera vyathaam gathvaa na thvam sOchithum arhasi |

sOchathO hi avaseedhanthi sarva arthaa vidhitham hi thE || 4-27-34

bhavaan kriyaa parO lOkE bhavaan dhEva paraayaNa: |

aasthikO dharma s eela: cha vyavasaayee cha raaghava || 4-27-35

meaning: lakshmaNa says to raama, 'Oh, brave one, enough is this anguish of yours, and it will be inapt of you to dishearten. All objectives will backslide for such persons, who will ceaselessly be in anguish. That you know clearly. Oh, Raaghava, in the world you are

§         a result-oriented person,

§         a devotee of gods for achieving those desired results,

§         a theist,

§         a moralist, and also

§         the mobilizer.

Point: in geethaa also krishNa was addressing arjuna as paranthapa, savyasaachin, raajan, veera, etc - for they are the words which reminds arjuna about his royal and warring abilities. Perhaps those take root here, from lakshmaNa addressing raama.

Is lakshmaNa reminding raama that you are that supreme lord who has come on a mission saying

-         You are the only master in all the worlds to undertake specific tasks - like elimination of raavaNa for which you are now undergoing this separation from seethaa – bhavaan parO lOkE kriyaa: – result oriented in the other lOkam,

-         for achieving results of those humanly actions of yours, you worship god, leaving the fruits of your action in god, you will do your duty as ordained – karma phala thyaagam - which krishNa is going to teach later to arjuna - bhavaan dhEva paraayaNa:

-         this also indicates for any one to be successful in life, he has to be a 'god worshipping' – not god fearing – let it be in open or secretive like the presnt day paguththaRivu singangaL.

-         you are a theist  - bhavaan aasthika: - for you are that thath - 'that Supreme Person' - thus you cannot self-contradict yourself - to behave only in a humanly attitude always - in this sOkham mood – cannot be 'maanusham manyE' always

-         you are bound to be a moralist – dharma seela: - for you have all the preceding attributes,

-         you are the mobilizer – vyavasaayee – krishi – krishNa later - for none other you can accomplish certain tasks for which you are mobilised by all the divinities and you have also come this far.

Oh oh, great lakshmaNa – he puts words in such array that he is exhibiting all his skills in oratory – vaakya vi saaradha: - we saw that when lakshmaNa started with hanumaan, at the beginning of this same kishkindhaa kaaNdam – seen in that enovoy role when raama and lakshmaNa meet hanumaan for the very first time.

na hi avyavasitha: sathrum raakshasam tham visEshatha: |

samartha: thvam raNE hanthum vikramai: jihma kaariNam || 4-27-36

samunmoolya s Okam thvam vyavasaayam sthiree kuru |

thatha: saparivaaram tham raakshasam hanthum arhasi || 4-27-37

meaning: lakshmaNa continues, 'If you are much too lackadaisical, indeed, you will not be capable to eliminate the enemy in war, specially a demon, especially a trickster, leave alone all your daring enterprises. Completely rooting out that agony, you please stabilise in your endeavour. Then you will be able to eliminate that demon RaavaNa along with his followers.

Point: In motivation theory, one particular point quite often stressed is to 'touch the ego' of the person to be motivated

        may be by praising him – hey you are capable – you can do it   - you alone can do it. Or by beating it

        or hitting against his ego

        both ways it is the personal ego, which is aroused.

This motivation if one's own – by patting on his own back by self - then called self-motivation. – or it can be by others – then it is counseling for motivation - as in present case to raama by lakshmaNa.

See how step-by-step raama's ego is boosted by lakshmaNa - raNE thvam vikramai: hanthum samartha: - in war you are capable of eliminating even valorous opponent – provided you leave that brooding.

[That is what is the main intention of all sthOthrams also – to praise the lord and please, in a way boost his ego – to it in same parlance - so that our task with lord is accomplished – hey, in simple terms it is barter – bhagavaan is also 'plays' a party – out of his dhayaa towards his bhakthaas].

By that motivation, lakshmaNa also gives the steps how to accomplish the end result

        first throw away your sOkham,

        then you firm up your decisions on that endevour of eliminating raavaNa,

        then you execute these steps and achieve the end result.

Alternatively can we say in simple jargonistic terms

        shirk this present anxiety

        plan your strategies,

        go, attack and win.

Dear all – if these are not 'human behavioral science stuff' or 'management stuff', then what it is? Please think and name it for yourselves.

pruthiveem api kaakuthstha sasaagara vanaachalaam |

parivarthayithum saktha: kim puna: tham hi raavaNam || 4-27-38

sarathkaalam pratheekshasva praavruT kaalO~ ayam aagatha: |

thatha: sa raashTram sa gaNaam raavaNam tham vadhishyasi || 4-27-39

aham thu khalu thE veeryam prasuptham prathibOdhayE |

dheepthai: aahuthibhi: kaalE bhasma channam iva analam || 4-27-40

meaning: lakshmaNa continues, 'Oh, Kaakuthstha, you are capable to inverse the order of earth along with all of its oceans, forests, and mountains, then what to speak of that RaavaNa, all the more. Look forward to the autumnal season, as this season that has come, is of heavy rains, and thereafter, you will eradicate that RaavaNa along with his city [or state] and his followers. I am just awakening the fast sleeping vitality of yours, no more than rekindling fire concealed under embers with the timely offerings of flammable fire-oblations". Thus said LakshmaNa to Raama.

Point: lakshmaNa only pacified raama and stopped him from shooting that 'raised arrow' in the aasramam [when raama was missing seethaa on return after killing maareecha] - from that act of annihilation of forests, hills, rivers, etc in retaliation of their silence [when raama asked about whereabouts of missing seethaa in the assramam].

Same lakshmaNa reminds him now – yes, you are capable to do reversing all that – same oceans forests mountains etc - before that capacity of yours in turning around the whole world, this raavaNa is a small fry – but for all this, you have to wait till rainy season is over.

Dear readers, Is raama another hanumaan,

        to be given a timely reminder about his own capabilities?

        or a simple 'sthOthram' is done now to hold raama in abeyance, yet fully prepared?

The answer perhaps is the second portion of this sentence.

lakshmaNasya hi thadh vaakyam prathipoojya hitham subham |

raaghava: suhrudham snigdham idham vachanam abraveeth || 4-27-41

vaachyam yadh anurakthEna snighdhEna cha hithEna cha |

sathya vikrama yukthEna thadh uktham lakshmaNa thvayaa || 4-27-42

meaning: Honouring that expedient and propitious advise of LakshmaNa, Raaghava spoke this sentence to that good-hearted and good-natured LakshmaNa, 'What is to be said by an affectionate, amiable and cordial person, also whose courage is truth itself, that you have said it, LakshmaNa'.

Esha s Oka: parithyaktha: sarva kaarya avasaadhaka: |

vikramEshu aprathihatham thEja: prOthsaahayaami aham || 4-27-43

sarath kaalam pratheekshishye sthithO~ asmi vachanE thava |

sugreevasya nadheenaam cha prasaadham anupaalayan || 4-27-44

meaning: raama to lakshmaNa - Yes! Distress is retrogressive to all the functions. I am casting-off this distress completely. As an undefeatable one in my triumphs, I am invigorating my ebullience. Awaiting the kind-heartedness of Sugreeva, and for the kindness of the rivers in their abatement, I look forward for the autumn remaining true to your words.

Point: see how the minister lakshmaNa has thus motivated and kept him in full preparedness

        counseling to remove sOkham,

        make him wait,

        at the same time not to lose heart,

        remind not to lose that innate strength to fight

all in one stroke achieved here. Please think how great is minister lakshmaNa and his clarity in thinking ahead.

We will continue in next post also on the 'minister' lakshmaNa.

dhasan

--
Vasudevan MG __._,_.___