From: ramanbil@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ramanbil@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [SriRangaSri] A deep Study of Swami Desika's works in juxtaposition with those of a Christian Saint
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:49:46 +0000

Dear friend:

Many Hindus have absolutely no exposure to our scriptures through intense Gurukula vaasam training or rigorous Kaalakshepam tradition. Nor, do they have any desire or opportunity for either, having moved from their moorings and living for long, away from such sources. Some others have just a very superficial knowledge and brag about claiming that they have enough mastery over the subjects. But, they seem to be only too ready to rush and criticize whenever a “foreigner” puts forward any interpretations that may very well be in tune with our authentic and authoritative texts. They become paranoid and invariably see a red rag to the bull where none exist!

On the other hand, when a westerner desires to learn anything, they go deep into the study of the subject. For example, if they want to learn about the life and habits of whales, they go to the bottom of the ocean, live with the whales, make themselves acceptable to the whales, study their habits in close quarters and then and then only come up with their findings.

Unfortunately, this kind of commitment is absent in our researchers, who take pride in their glorious past but never care or have time to study to be able to comment with conviction..

In this connection, I would like to invite your kind attention to the excerpts from the Prologue of my book “Hinduism Rediscovered” (reproduced below)

Dasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy

“It struck me, therefore, that in presenting the Hindu ideologies it would be equally futile to marshal quotations from the Hindu scriptures that were bound to fall flat. With this in view, I went through hundreds of books and articles authored by Non-Hindu thinkers from the various countries hailing from both the hemispheres- American, British, German, Greek, Roman, Australian, Japanese, Chinese, Middle Eastern and belonging to different faiths- Christian, Judaic, Muslim, Buddhist, Jain, Confucian, Shintoism and others- on what they had to say on Hinduism and quote from the 'horse's mouth'- authorities confirming the veracity of the wisdom contained in the Hindu faith. These authors have drawn personal inspiration and meaning from India as much from their native heritage. Most of them had never gone through the rigors of discipline and training in the 'Patasala' tradition (traditional schooling) nor had had any opportunity to listen to erudite exponents in confidential sessions of the Kalakshepa' tradition (erudite expositions).

Yet, their involvement was so palpably real, sincerity so stunningly stubborn, dedication indisputably total and their grasp so incredibly gripping that they reveal perfect mastery over the nuances of the innermost esoteric meanings (Svapadesa) lying buried in the innermost niches in our scriptures.

I was amazed at the superb range of their study of Sanskrit and Hinduism. This is because in India, religion and language are inextricably interwoven so much that no idea or _expression_ in Sanskrit could subsist without an import into some aspect or other of Hinduism. A study of Sanskrit was necessarily a study of Hinduism and a study of Hinduism was not possible without a study of Sanskrit- the language through which Hinduism revealed it. Thus, Sanskrit was not only the culture but also the religion of the Hindus.

Therefore, the exposure of most of them to both Sanskrit and Hinduism was so intimate that they could comprehend even minutest details and explain them with force and clarity in their expositions. - Sometimes more revealing than some of our own preceptors back home in India.

A reference or quotation from these world leaders who have dedicated themselves to the study of religions in general and Hinduism in particular provide an appropriate launching pad for the take off into the Hindu scriptural statements-which then would be more meaningful or at least less misunderstood. In fact, they tell us more about our religion than many of our so-called self styled "Goodman" back in India”.