You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - May 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00168 May 2003

May 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

thehindu@xxxx wrote:

we just saw this message while browsing go through this

This article has been sent to you by prabhakaran ( mrprabakar@xxxx )
Source: The Hindu (http://www.hinduonnet.com/2001/11/26/stories/0426405v.htm)
Steps to introduce Sanskrit in schools promised

By Our Staff Reporter

PONDICHERRY, NOV. 25. The Tourism and Education Minister, Mr. K.
Lakshminarayanan has said that the Department of Education would
initiate steps to introduce Sanskrit as optional language so that
students intending to learn it would be enabled to gain
proficiency.

Addressing a meeting of the Puduchery Samskrita Sammelan
organised by the Samskrita Bharathi on the occasion of the
valedictory function of the ten-day crash programme to teach
spoken Sanskrit today, Mr.Lakshminarayanan said that contents of
Bagwad Gita and other unparalleled epics of the country written
in Sanskrit, conveyed eternally relevant messages and socially
significant philosophies.

He said that students of the present generation had an unbridled
yearning for knowledge and wanted to learn as many languages as
possible without any aversion or negative mentality to any
language.

Education should not be confined to a small circle and wider
exposure was important particularly in the current context of
knowledge based society. He said he would initiate without delay
steps by consulting officials of the department to encourage
learning of Sanskrit.

The Sanskrit pundit attached to the French Institute,
Mr.Srivatsangacharya who was one of the resource persons at the
special coaching was felicitated by the Minister.

The scholar pleaded with the Education Minister to encourage
students to learn Sanskrit in schools and colleges. The facility
of learning it at the grassroots level should be provided, he
stressed.

Functionaries of the Samskrita Bharathi submitted a memorandum to
the Minister in this regard.

Copyright: 1995 - 2002 The Hindu

Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly
prohibited without the consent of The Hindu

Happy to read the mail forwarded by my friend prabhakar (pl. read the mail from
the Hindu). I hope that the Govt. of Pondicherry will take its final decision
in the induction of Sanskrit in School Currirulum. This work was begin in the
mid of 90s by the only Sanskrit Teacher of Pondicherrry Govt. Sriman Melpakkam
Vasudevan. By that time through Kalidasa-Samskrita-Kendram Sanskrit classes
were being conducted in and around Pondicherry in the evening time. Govt. of
Pondicherry had sanctioned Rs.3,000/- to the Kendram once in 1996 for the
development of Sanskrit. Hundreds of students were learning Sanskrit including
school and college students/teachers. Even the Oficers of the govt. of
Pondicerry know very well about it. Then the Director of Education Sri.Ramarao,
sent a circular to all Govt. hr.sec. schools for their opinion and the list of
interested students. Few schools sent their willing ness. But asusual this plan
went to the dust bin afterwards. Meantime Sanskrit was started in two private
schools 1) Sri Sankara Vidyalaya and 2) St. Patricks Mat. School and sanskrit
was taught by me. Now both the schools have full time Sanskrit Teachers in
their schools. Then the present Education minister was the closly associated
with then HOme Mininister Sri.Kannan. He also helped for the development of
Sanskrit. I spoke to then Agri. Minister Sri. Visvanathan, who is the
well-wisher of Kalidasa-Kendram, for the development of Sanskrit in
Pondicherry. I am very much happy and welcome the statement given by the
Education Minister. And he should not giveup this matter simply. Sanskrit is
widly taught all over world. This language is away from all politics. This is
learnt and adviced by Europeans. It will be shameful if Indians do not take
care of this language. I request all readers to learn Sanskrit and insist your
friends to learn Sanskrit, the back-bone of the Indian culture and ask others
also to learn this language. Don't leave it simply. Service to Sanskrit is
service to Sanathana Dharma.

V.C. Govindarajan, Sanskrit Teacher,

Indian School, Al-Ghubra. Oman