You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2002

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00039 Nov 2002

Vignapanam,

With the divine blessings of Swami Desika and great acharyas I shall attempt
to respond to this query.

At the outset let me state that in this area between 'samashti srishti' and
'vyshti srishti' there are few complicated questions and partial answers.
The debate is on. The debate centers around the 'samgna-moorthy-klipti
adhikaranam' of Sri Bhashya.

Some of the interesting questions are:

1. There is no sareera (body) in the pralayavasta (Sadeva Aseeth, Ekameva
Asseeth, Adviteeyameva Aseeth). Even in the worldy days, when the sould
leaves the 'stoola sareera' (the body we have now), it goes out ONLY with
'sookshma sareera'. When we say 'asareera' we mean there is no stoola
sareera but it has sookshma sareera. Even when we get rid of the last stoola
sareera the sookshma sareerra lasts till the liberated jevva reaches
'viraja' river.

If so, as per the Upanishad "tAvadeva chiram. yavat na vimokshya". meaning
when the body goes moksha is attained/automatic. In pralaya state there is
no sookshma sareera also. Then why Jiva is still not liberated.

Here is the answer: even if the karmakruta sareeram is not there...the root
cause for that 'karma' is there. kAranam asti...kAryam nasti.

2. When Eswara decides to have the srishti..He creates 24 tatvas from moola
prakruti, separates 25th jeeva tatva. Then creates 'chaturmukha Brahma'
(samashti jeeva). This is called samashti srishti which Sriman Narayana
himself does. Then thro C.Brahma 'anena jeevena atmana anupravisya nama
roope vyakaravani' all other things happens (dhada yatha poorvam akalpayat).
In the above area there are two schools of thought regarding the first
action 'prthama pravirthi':
2.1. In the jeeva srishti (jeeva getting the body) the jeeva himself does
the action without the help of Paramatma and subsequently Paramatma takes on
according to the good/bad first action of jeeva. And karma continues. This
is the view of the greatest acharya 'srutaprakasikachar'. This acharya goes
by 'pratama pravirthim avalambya'.
2.2 swami Desika differs here. If we accept 2.1 then the theory that 'all'
actions are by Paratmatama and He is sarva-nyanta will have to have an
exception.

This is a catch-22 problem. If we accept that Paramatma gives the first body
then how He can have 'vishama sridhti'. On the other side we need to have an
exception to His 'sarva niyantrutvam' have to have an exception.

For that Swami Desika interprets the Bhashyasukti as 'poorva pravirthim
avalambya'- meaning Paramatma start where the jeeva left earlier. karma is
there always. So He goes by the rule book (laid by him) but at the same time
He decides which page he needs to activate.

Now answers to your question:

Q: "So please leave me in this state of asat"
A: There is no option for Jeeva..As per 'kala' pralaya state will come to a
precise end and like wise it will start (kala: tatra vai prbhu:). Assume
there is a curfew and you are under sec 44 within the house for 30 days..you
will fed up as you are neither living nor dead..what will you do..you will
some how venture out and attempt to do some portion of your 'normal
routine'. You will also take risk and think 'come what may..instead living
at home I can as well venture out and die as well'. 'pralaya avastha' is not
what you think that you are happily sleeping in your bed room with
absolutely no committment!

Q: "Inspite of this if God creates a body for the jiva, then it means He
"DESIRES" to have leela.":
A: big YES. Who can question him. "Leelavttu kaivalyam" (brahma sutram).
Kaivalyam means 'only for enjoyment'. Yes He desires to have leela. stop it
if you can!! :-)

Q: "Also,he wants the jiva to be liberated AGAINST the jiva's wishes which
is not true according to Swami Desikan's sampradayam.".
A: Nothing goes as per Jeeva's wish. everything goes as per his karma
(vaishamya-nairgrnye na sapekshatvat (brhma sutram): means
'karmasapekshtvat' - as per the karma).

Swami desika had only said that 'if you don't do either bhakthi yoga or
prapatti you will not attain moksha' (Prbhannath anyesham nadisati mukundo
nijapadam - Rahasyatrayasara sloka).

Also, liberation means denouncing the 'body' permanently (punya or papa a/c
becomes nil)..and not without body as in the pralaya state.

(In fact God is doing only as per jeeva's wish. He has created many
opportunities for the jeeva to liberate..but we are saying nothing doing
..what He has done..He only failed in his mission..'na
vayulunde...theekkalikuch chellum vagai' - namlavar)

With best of my understanding I have stated these. All right things here are
purely due to the blessings of my acharyas and wrong things are purely due
to my 'ajnanam'.

Kindly check with other scholars and proceed.

sadan
sridharan