You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00064 Nov 2005

Srimathe Ranga Ramanuja Maha Desikaya namaha:

Dear Bhagavathas,

Article on Srirangam Srimath Andavan Ashramam tanians and meanings continue
with this posting. One more will follow after this.

HH Srimath Thirukudanthai Desikan (30)- Srimath Gopalarya Mahadesikan

Thirunakshatram : Purattasi ? Pooradam  Thanian :

Sri krishna dEsika padhaamBHuja brunga raajam
VEdaantha lakshmana muneendra krupaaththa bOdham
Thraiyantha dEsika yatheendra shaTaarimoorthim
GOpaala dEsika shikhaamaNi maasrayaamaha

Meaning: Like a bee which goes after the lotus for nectar, He went after the
feet of Sri Krishna Desikan (who was his Father) and had his Pancha Samskaram
and Veda Adyanam under him. He absorbed Vedhantha gnanam from Vedhantha
Lakshmana Muni (Sakshath Swamy). He is an embodiment of three great acharyas
Swami Desikan, Sri Ramanuja and Swami Nammazhwar. We seek refuge and prostrate
such a great acharya Srimath Gopalarya Maha Desikan..

Sri Sakshath swamy (29)-Vedhantha Ramanuja Maha Desikan

Thirunakshathram-Chitrai Thiruvadhirai Thanian:

Sri Ranganatha Guru PAda Saroja Hamsam

VedAnta Desika PadAmbhuja BringarAjam
Srimad Yateendra Satakopa DayAvalabdam

Vedanta Lakshmana Muni Charanam Prapadhye

Meaning: I take refuge at the feet of Vedanta Lakshmana Muni who had the grace
of Srimad Yatindra Satakopa himself. He was the swan at the feet of Sri
Ranganatha Guru and who was the bee at the lotus feet of Swami Vedanta Desika.

KALYAANAAVAHA SRI RANGANATHA SWAMI  (28)

Thanian:

KalyAnAvaham AsmAkam Kaarunya KalasAmbhude
Prapadhye Ranganathasya Pada Pankaja Tallajam

Meaning:  I take refuge at the lotus feet of Sri Ranganatha Swami also known as
KalyAnAvaha Swami who was in real, the Kalasam (pot) of (waters) of Compassion
and tenderness.

Rangapathy Desikar (27)

Thanian:

Sri Veeraraghava Guros Thanayam Tatascha Saareerakaadhi Samadheethya Samastha
Saastram
Vidyothana Manavasya Gunaika Naatham Sri RanganAtha Guruvaryam Aham Prapadhye

Meaning: I take reguge at Sri Ranganatha Guru who was the son of Guru

Sri VeeraraghavAcharya, from whom he gathered the knowledge of all Sastras like
SAreeraka and who captivated everyone by his attributes

Sri ChithannA Veeraraghavachar (26)

Thanian:

Sri Venkatesa Gurunaa KarunAkarena

Srise Samarpitha Bharam Srita PaariAatham..
Sri RanganAha Guru Veekshana Labda Bhodam

Sri Veeraraghava Gurum Saranam Prapadye

Meaning: I take shelter at the feet of Veeraraghava Guru who had his Atma
samarpanam done by the benevolant Sri Venkatesa Guru and who had the chivalrous
charm of Sri Ranganatha Guru.

Paravasthu VenkatanAdhachar (25)

Thanian

Vatsa Vamsa Payodheendroh Kalyaana Guna Vaaridhe
Srimate Venkatesasya Charanou Saranam Bhaje

Meaning: I take asylum at the holy feet of Sri Venkatesa guru, who is like the
cream of the milk of the sri Vatsya Vamsam and who is the very ocean of
propitious qualities.

Srivathsa Ramanujachar (24)

Thanian:

Srimate RanganAthasya Gunair DAsyam UpAgatham
Ramanujum Dviteeyam Tham Adviteeyam UpAsmahe

Meaning: I pay my salutations to Ramanuja Guru who did kainkaryam to Ranganatha
Guru, engulfed by his qualities; the one who appeared to be the second Ramanuja
and the one without a second.

Kilaneekunnam  Sri vAthsya Ananthachariar (23)

Thanian :

Sri ThAta Guru SevAtha VedAnta YugalAsayah
VAtsyAnatha Guruh Srimaan SreyasE mEesthu BhuyasE

Meaning: May VAtsya Anantha Guru, who studied the Vedanta at the feet of His
guru Sri  Tatachariar, bless us with prosperity & propitious qualities

Panmatha Banjanam ThAthAchariar (22)

Thanian:

Sri Saila Poorna Kula Vaaridhim Poorna Chandram
Sri Srinivasa Guru Varya PadAbja Bringam
SreyO GunAmbudhim Aasrita PArijaatham
Sri ThAthayAryam Anagham Saranam Prapadhye

Meaning: I take shelter at the feet of Thathacharya, the faultless one, who is
like the beautiful full moon embellishing the ocean of the lineage of sri Saila
poorna vamsam, who goes after the feet of his guru SrinivasA, like a bee going
after the nector, and the one who is a Parijatha flower in fulfilling desires
of those who take asylum at his feet

Shasta ParAnkusa muni (21)

Thanian:

Srimad   Sataari Muni Paada Saroja Hamsam

Srimad   Paraankusa Tapodhana Labda bodham

Sriman Nrisimha Varadaarya Dayaavalambham

Srimad Paraankusa Munim Pranathosmi Nityam

Meaning: I prostrate always at the feet of Parankusamuni, who was like a swan
at the lotus feet of Parankusa (Nammalwar) & who got insight from the
Taponidhi, Parankusa (also Nammalwar) and who got enlightened with
Dwayamanthra, by Nrisimha VaradArya.

Ahobilam dEsikachar (20)

Thanian:

Srimad Varada Vishnu VAraya Pada Pankaja Shat Padam

Ahobila Gurum VandE Vatsa Vamsaika Mouktikam

Meaning: I prostrate at the feet of Ahobilachar, the jewel of the srivathsa
vamsam, who was like a bee at the lotus feet of Varada VishnuvAryA

Sri MAHAA DAYAA DEESAR (19)

Thanian:

MahA DayA Deesitur AmbujAksha NidhyAna NityAbhi Nivishta Buddeh

AgjnAna NigrahakamunjasAham Asmad GurOr Angri Yugalam Prapadhye

Meaning: I surrender at the feet of our mentor, MahA DayAdesar whose eyes are
like lotus, who constantly meditates on the Lord and who is unmindful of
punishing us for our faults due to his compassionate nature

Varadha Vishnuvachar (18)

Thanian:

MahA DayAdeesa Guror Thanayam Thatva Vidwaram

Vande VishnuvAryam Vaatsalyaadhi GunArnavam

Meaning: I bow to the learned scholar Varada Vishnu Vaarya, son of preceptor
Mahadayadeesa, whose qualities like kindness, compassion are vast and abysmal
like the very ocean

Sri Gadika sathakam Ammal (17)

Thanian:

Namo Varada Vishnu vaaryaaya Nayanaananda Daayine

Vaatsyaaya Varadaaryaaya Vadhineehara Bhaaswate

Meaning: Salutations to Vatsya Varada, a Guru who has a pleasing personality
and who shines like a beaming Light to the lineage of Vishnuvaarya

Sri Brahma Thanthra Swathanthrar (16)

Thanian:

ParyAya Bhashya KArAya PranathArthi VidhoonvathE
Brahma Thanthra SwathanthrAya Dviteeya Brahmane Namah

Meaning: Glory to Bramha thanthrar,who is hailed as Paryaya Bhashyakaraya
(Bhashyakkrara incarnated again?by swamy desikan for his profuse knowledge in
Sri Bhashyam, who crowned His disciple as "Sri Dvitiya Brahmatantra Swatantrar"
(This tanian was composed By Gadikasatham Ammal, Grandson of Nadadur Ammal)

Swamy dEsikan (15)

Thanian:

SrimAn vEnkatanAthArya: kavitharkika kEsari

vEdhAnthachArya varyOmE sannidhathAm sadhA hrudhi

Meaning: Sri dEsika who is blessed by goddess sri, and who has aquired  the
highest status in Imparting  scriptures and sAsthras and who was a lion among
dialecticians, should dwell in our hearts for ever and ever

(May the glorious Venkatanatha,the greatest of teachers of Vedanta,and the

Lion among poets and debaters,reside forever in my heart).

(Another one was by his disciple Brahma Tantra Swatantra which says:-

"Ramanuja Daya Patram Gnana Vairaghya Bushanam
Srimad Venkata Natharyam Vande Vedanta Desikam "

We recite this taniyan before starting divya prabandham. The meaning of this
taniyan is  "I salute the great Venkata Natha also called Vedanta Acharya and
Lion among poets and logicians and who was well adorned by both Knowledge and
discretion and who well deserved the grace of Srimad Ramanuja": )

(To be continued....)

Srimath Andavan Thiruvadi,

dasan

P. Sreenivasan (Besant Nagar,Chennai)