You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00065 Nov 2005

Hare Krishna.

One should totally fast from grains and beans on
ekadasi day. This includes rice, wheat, dhal, corn,
etc. as well as certain spices. It is best to only
partake fruits and milk, water, etc. in small
quantities to be safe since many items we may think
are okay can have a mixture of forbidden spices.
Chapati is made of wheat and so it is not to be taken.
Milk sweets are okay. Upma is made of rava and so it
is also not to be taken. What may be taken are
tapioca, potato, non-grain vegetables like tomato,
green pepper, cucumber, turnip, nuts, etc. Avoid corn
oil as well.

It is mentioned in smrti shastras that paapam
personified takes shelter of grains on ekadasi.

ys
jai simman
jakarta

Dear Bhagavathas,

My Question might be out of context here, but i would
like to know the
answer. I fast on ekadasi days & take only Payatham
paruppu kanchi in
the
night. My wife keeps telling me that sweets, uppma,
chappathi etc are
ok to
take, since they are not made from rice. Kindly let me
know the allowed
food
on ekadasi days.

http://mail.yahoo.com