You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00113 Oct 2003

In continuation to Sri Balaji's question, I would like to know if
there is anything specific called "Srivaishnavite Upanayanam?"...If
yes, who performs it ? Is it possible for someone to get initiated
into Srivaishnavism around the same time as Upanayanam itself.

I apologize for my ignorance and would deeply appreciate any inputs
in this matter.

--- In SriRangaSri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Balaji <t_balaji@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to know what is the right age for Upanayanam? I read in the
Sapthagiri magazine that if the Upananayam is not performed between
the age 8 and 16, then the boy is not for Brahmopadesha. The article
continued that "it is said in the Dharma Shastra that if Upanayana is
not performed before the age of Sixteen a boy becomes Savitri-Patita,
fallen from the Brahmanic tradtion"

> In my case, my parents couldn't perform the upanayanam before the
age of 16. I believe there is a custom that there should not be 3
Brahmacharis in a house at any point of time. I don't know the reason
behind this custom. But becasue of this custom, my upanayanam was
postponed until one of my elder brother got married. But by the time
I had already crossed the age of 16.

> Though in the same article it has been mentioned that the Boy and
his father would have perfromed some prayaschitta for the delayed
performance of the Upanayana, I don't remember of doing any such
thing during my Upanayanam. Probably the person (Vadhiyar swamigal)
who has performed the Upanaayanam for me would have performed the
prayaschitta without making informing us.

> Can some one tell me whether I should do any prayaschitta now ? If
yes, what kind of Prayaschitta I should do now ?

> I also wanted to know whether the age mentioned in the ariticle is
correct and the reason behind the custom of 3 Brahamacharis should
not be there in the house at any time.