You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00118 Oct 2003

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.05 / ISSUE # 03 dated 22nd October 2003
SPECIAL SUBANU DEEPAVALI GREETINGS ISSUE
EDITORIAL
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. HEARTY DEEPAVALI GREETINGS
2. CELEBRATION OF SWAM<Y DESIKA?S TIRUNAKSHATRAM
IN ATLANTA ON 19TH OCTOBER 2003
3.AN ADDENDUM AND A CORRECTION TO THE
?IMPORTANT DAYS IN AIPPASI (TULAM) MONTH
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1. HEARTY DEEPAVALI GREETINGS
Dear Bhagavatas:

On behalf of ?Swami Desika Darsana Satsangam? and its Electronic journal, ?Sri Ranga Sri? and on my own behalf, I have great pleasure in offering our heartfelt ?DeepavaLi greetings?.

May the festival of lights bring light and delight to the hearts of all of us.

May all of us radiate happiness to all around us.

May our mutual understanding and cooperation continue unabated in the days ahead.

We also wish the same to the Moderators and members of our entire Internet group fraternity like ?Acharya?, ?Andavan?, ?Bhakti-Indonesia?, ?Brahmins Education?, ?Desika Sampradaya?, ?Indian Civilization?, ?Malolan_Net?, ? Nama-Singapore?, ?Oppiliappan?, ?Parakala Matham?, ?Ramanuja _ Society?, SriVenugopala?, ?TiruvenkaTam? and others who kindly hosted our Editorials in their sites.

Our thanks are also due to the Editors and Publishers of Religious monthly Journals in India like ?Sri Ranganatha Paaduka?, ?Sri Hayagriva Priya?, ?Sri Kanchi Perarulalan?, ?Sri Desika Seva? as also the bi-monthly diglot edition ?Sri Nrisimhapriya? from Hyderabad, who kindly carried our announcements in their respective Journals.

It is the unstinting inspiration and encouragement of all the above that has been responsible for the steady growth of your journal.

We are glad to inform that the membership of ?Sri Ranga Sri? has risen to nearly 3300 + including over 2222 Active members and about 1040 members whose mails have *temporarily bounced* due to the limited capacity of their mailboxes. And, the list is growing at a bewildering rapidity!

Achaaryas and Scholars who are adorning our ?Board of Advisory Consultants? of ?Sri Ranga Sri? have been sending and have agreed to send their quality articles for EXCLUSIVE publication in ?Sri Ranga Sri?.
2.CELEBRATION OF SWAM<Y DESIKA?S TIRUNAKSHATRAM IN ATLANTA ON 19th INSTANT
We had a grand Celebration of Tirunakshatrams of TiruvEnkaTam Udaiyaan and Swami Desikan under the auspices of ?Sri Vedanta Desika Satsangam of Atlanta?, at the residence of Dr. Sumathi and Dr. Bharath on Sunday, 19th October 2003. Besides the Salagramam granted to the couple by His Holiness Abhinava Vagheesa Brahma Tantra Swatantra Swami of Parakaala MaTam, the Vigrahams of Swamy Nammaazhwaar, Bhagavad Ramanuja and Swamy Desika adorned the specially built dais.

There was a good gathering of BhAgavatAs including Sri N. Krishnamachariar Swamy (of Chicago) who is presently working in Atlanta, Smt and Sri Sudhanava Char, Smt Padmasri and her husband, Sri Prajwal, Sri Anand Sreenivasan from Athens ? (all members of Sri Ranga Sri), Sri Sunil Murthy, Smt. Mamatha and Sri Nachu Anbil (my son) and his family (including me!). The parents of Dr. Bharat who have come from India participated in a big way and made the function a grand success.

Sriman Narayanana, son of Sri Seshavataram Swami, BhaTTar in the Hindu Temple of Atlanta, who had undergone Veda Adhyayanam under H.H. Chinna Jeeyar Swami, added an aura of truly religious fervor with his sonorous rendering of Paasurams.

The proceedings commenced with Tiruvaradanam. The goshTi had two branches and recitations were alternating between them as it happens in Divya Desams.

PerumaL and Thaayaar were awakened with TiruppallaaNDu, TiruppaLLi Ezhuchi and Tiruppaavai,

During SNAANAASANAM when Salagramam and Vigrahas were given Tirumanjanam in Yogurt, Milk, Honey, Sandal wood paste, Turmeric paste, Panchamrutam, Tender Coconut water to the accompaniment of GoshTi recitation of the Veda part including Purusha Suktam, Sri Suktam, Bhoo Sooktam, Mantra Pushpam etc. and Divya Prabhandam recitations including Periyazhwar Tirumozhi (VeNNai aLainda kuNungum) The Paadukais of asmad Acharya, His Holiness ParavaakkOTTai Srimad ANDavan of PouNDarikapuram Swamy Ashramam were offered Paaduka Araadhanam along with the Tiruvaradhanam.

During ALANKAARAASANAM, Tiruvoimozhi 4.3(Poosum Sandhu) was recited followed by Archanai and recitation of Desika Stotras (Hayagriva Stotram, Vairaghya Panchakam, SudarsanaashTakam, Dasavataara Stotram, Sri Sthuthi), Desika Prabhandams (Prabhnada Saaram, MummaNIk kOvai and again select Divya Prabhnada Paasurams commencing with ?KaNNInuNN Siruthaambhu, Ozhivil Kaalamellaam (TVM 3.3), UlagumuNda Peruvaaya (TVM 6.10) and SenniyOngu (Periyazhwar Tirumaozhi 5.4).

It was an opportunity for me to explain an interesting anecdote relating to ?Ozhivil Kaalam? pasuram: LakshmaNa who was the incarnation of Adisesha renowned for ?Senraal KuDaiyaam, Irundaal singaasanamaam? etc. deserted Sri Sita in spite of Sri Rama?s command to guard her, while Sri Rama was running after chasing Maareecha. In an Imaginary conversation. LakshmaNa asked what the Azhwaar would have done if he were in his shoes. Azhwar replied that if he were in the place of LakshmaNa, he would have taken 2 forms (being a Nityasuri) one for guarding Sita and the other for going out to the help of Rama, thus solving both the issues without compromising on either!

Further, having promised ?aham sarvam karishyaami jaagratah Svaptascha vaa? LaksmaNa stood guard outside the ParNasaalai lest he should disturb the privacy of the divine couple. Azhwar seems to have replied that being a Nityasuri, he would have taken the form of an inanimate object like a lamp or a doorstep and avoided embarrassment to all concerned!
(heard in KaalakshEpams)

During BHOJYAASANAM, Nachiyaar Tirumozhi (9.6) ?Naarum Narum pozhil? was recited. Bhagavaan, Azhwaar and Achaaryas were treated to a delicious fare prepared by Dr. Sumathi and her mother-in-law. (Of course, we had our fill of the Prasadam later!)

With SAAATTUMARAI, Pllai Anthaadhi and Desika Mangalam, the function came to a grand finale.

After a sumptuous and delicious ?Tadheeya Araadhanam?, a small recitation competition was held for kids. Chi Abhiram (son of the Bharat Dhampathis and Sow. Varsha Anbil (Daughter of Smt.Mamatha and Sri.Nachu Anbil) were presented with gifts and certificate of participation.
(Courtesy: Smt. Padmasri)

It was an unforgettable event. We wish that many more such functions were held her in Atlanta in the days ahead.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3.AN ADDENDUM AND A CORRECTION TO THE ?IMPORTANT DAYS IN AIPPASI (TULAM) MONTH.
ADDENDUM:

In response to our request for furnishing the Tirunakshatram days of Yathipathis of Parakaala MaTam, Sri Prasanna R (prasannahrr@xxxx) has informed the following events falling in the month of Aippasi. He has agreed to provide similar details for other months also.
Oct 29- Sree Jeeyar Tirunakshatram
Nov 09- Abhinava Srinivasa Brahmatantra parakala Swami Tirunakshatram
Our heartfelt thanks to him for the information.
Please make a note of these additional dates.
CORRECTION:
Sri Murali Krishnaswamy (krishnaswamymurali@xxxx)
has pointed out the following corrections to the Important days in Aippasi:
Dear Swamin,
Kindly check for dates of Manavala Mamunigal and Senai Mudaliar Thiru nakshatirangal.
Manavala Mamunigal's will fall on 29th October 2003
28#p gives wrongly 31st October as Senai Mudaliar Thirunakshatiram where as it should be 30th October.
.Adiyen Dasan
K Murali
We heartily thank him for these corrections that may please be noted.

Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
President ?Swami Desika Darsana Satsangam? (SDDS) and
Editor & Publisher ?Sri Ranga Sri? (SRS) Electronic Journal
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Never get a busy signal because you are always connected with high-speed Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers. https://broadband.msn.com

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com