You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00094 Sep 2008

Sep 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Respected devotees of almighty

While we saw few curses hurled on raavaNa for his attempts mostly on women with specific references, here are some more wherein though I heard these stories, I am unable to corroborate with references. I welcome readers of the elite group to give references.

1. GURU or BRIHASPATI'S CURSE ON RAAVANA

When RaavaNa was about to return after conquering dhEvalOkam and taking many of the dhEvaas as captive, Sukhadevi. daughter of Brihaspathi, the guru of dhEvaas, was taking shelter somewhere.  RaavaNa located her and attempted to seduce her.  Brihaspathi on learning this, cursed raavaNa that he would die by the arrows of a righteous man [ who follows dharmam].

2. SAGE VASISHTHA'S CURSE

RaavaNa had once gone to Vasishtha Maharshi and requested him to teach the vEdhams.  Vasishtha refused to accept him as a disciple as he considered raavaNa was an embodiment of evil.  RaavaNa became angry and took Vasishtha captive and kept him in a prison.

But Kuvalayastha, a king in the solar dynasty, released Vasishtha from the prison, since vasishtha was a kula guru of the ikshvaaku vamsam, the solar dynasty. Vasishtha then cursed that RaavaNa and a king belonging to the solar dynasty would destroy his dynasty.  This also came true as Raama came from the solar dynasty.

3. SAGE ASHTAVAKRA'S CURSE

Once Sage Ashtaavakra [the sage with 8 distortion in his body, including a hunchback.] was meditating at a place called Sleshmataka.  RaavaNa, who came that side, was amused by the many twists and deformities in the sage's bodily appearance. Raavana kicked him and ridiculed him saying "O you handsome fellow! I shall cure you of all your deformities by kicking you."

Ashtaavakra cursed raavaNa for kicking an innocent person who did no harm to raavaNa, saying 'Raavana's body would be kicked from head to foot and foot to head by monkeys'.  It so happened that when Raavana died in the battle, Sugriva's monkey army or the vaanara sainyam or battalion kicked Raavana out of shape.

4. SAGE DVAIPAYANA'S CURSE

Sage Dvaipayana was doing penance in his ashram.  He had a sister who was serving him. RaavaNa entered the sage's ashram, ridiculed Dvaipayana's sister and cut her lips with the tip of his sword.  Dvaipayana became furious and cursed RaavaNa, saying that a man would mutilate his sister Soorpanaka, which would lead to the destruction of RaavaNa's kingdom. This also came true when LakshmaNa cut Soorpanaka's nose at Panchavati for her misbehavior to seethaa. SoorpaNakha went and complained to Raavana and his evil days started then and culminated in his death at the hands of raama which is all known to everybody.

5. NAARADHA MAHARSHI'S CURSE

Once RaavaNa requested Naaradha Maharshi to initiate him in the praNavam that 'Omkaaram'. Even though he was a sages son which naaradha knew, naaradha refused.  Raavana threatened that he would cut Naaradha's tongue. Naaradha, in turn, cursed raavaNa that at the time of his death all his ten tongues in his ten heads would be pierced by arrows and his mouth would be full with his own blood.  It became true when Raama's arrows pierced Raavana's tongues and also shattered his ten heads.

6. SAGE MAUDGALYA'S CURSE.

Sage Maudgalya was a great yogi. Once when he was doing penance in avasthika pose, resting his neck on the yOga dhandam. RaavaNa, who came to the jungle for hunting, cut the yOgadhandam with his magic sword named Chandrahasa, for fun. [this sword was given by Siva in praise of raavaNa's thapas on to siva. The dhandam broke and the rishi fell on his face and broke his backbone.  In severe pain, the rishi cursed that Raavana's Magic sword would loose all its powers and would not help him at a crucial time.  It so happened that in the battle Ravana lost all his weapons and Raama on the chathurdhasi day, in all magnanimity, asked him to go back and come the next day fully armed on the amaavaasya â on which day he killed raavaNa.

Conclusion: With these significant curses and many more such curses loaded against him, coupled with his own cruel nature, one may really wonder, whether it was Raama's dharmam and his arrows or the curses caused the shattering of all the ten heads of Raavana in a pathetic way in the battlefield, or raama was a kaaraNa maathram â and these curses did their job - like that 'nimiththa maathram bhava savyasaachin' as krishNa said to arjuna â 'I will do the things, you be a reason', for the lord never punishes or appreciates â he only remains a witness â 'saakshee' â and the nature and actions of a person only determines the good and bad of one.

I personally thank sri m.g.vasudevan sir for the great help in bringing this known puranas - unknown stories. He has helped me a lot for the versus and correcting .   I thank him a lot lot and lot more.

with due respects to all the devotee of almighty

v.anjaneyulu
400kv s/s powergrid
betul road
pathrota,
itarsi - 461 111
mob 09893683689

Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Click here. __._,_.___

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list