You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00095 Sep 2008

Sep 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest Srivaishnavas,

Today Purattaasi ThiruVAdhirai is His Holiness Srimad VeLiyanalloor Andavan
Swamiâs Thirunakshathram

The greatness of our Srivaishnavam is that we not only show respect and pay
obeisance to our prakritam (present) AchArya, also to the entire lineage of
AchAryas, right upto the Lord. The thaniyan (dedicatory verse) of our AchArya
and those of his predecessors, are to be recited by every srivaishnava. It is
not only in paying respect to the glory of these AchAryAs, also to show our
gratitude for what GREAT service rendered by them to our srivaishnava
sampradAyam, by way of disseminating through granthas and kAlakshEpams.

Swamy Desikan describes this very movingly:

yERRi manatthu yezhil jnAna viLakkai iruLanaitthum-
mARRinavarkku oru kaimmARu mAyanum kANagillAn
pORRiugappathum pundhiyiR koLvadhum, pongupugazh-
sARRivaLarppathum saRRallavOmunnam peRRadhaRkkE.

To the One who has lit the lamp of jnAnam (knowledge) (in us) and dispelled the
darkness from our minds, there is nothing (no way ) even the Lord can do to
repay (for what the AChArya has done). Praising such AchAryan and telling about
his greatness to others, spreading his name, glories, continuously will be like
an infinitesimal portion for what He has done. (saRRu - iota) (since it is only
so small, why should I do? should not be our comment please).

Our Greatest AchArya parampara starts with Sriman Narayanan.

Sriman Narayanan
Sri Mahalakshmi
Sri VishvaksEnar (sEnai nAthan- commander in chief)
Sri SaTakOpar (nammAzhwAr)
Sri nAthamuni
Sri puNdarIkAkshar (uyyakkoNdAr)
Sri rAmamisrar (maNakkAl nambhi)
Sri yAmunAchAryar (ALavandhAr)
Sri mahApUrNar (Periya nambhi)
Sri rAmAnujar (udayavar- EmperumAnAr- yathirAjar)

The most important disciples (descendents) of Ramanuja are:

1. PiLLAn, VishNuchitthar, NadAdhUr ammAL, AppuLLAr and Vedanta Desika.
2. EmbAr, Parasara bhattar, Numjeeyar, NampiLLai, Vadakku thiruveedhipiLLai,
PeriyavAcchAnPillai, PillailOkAryar, followed by SrIsailar
(ThiruvAymozhipiLLai), Sri Manavala mamunigaL. (one can trace upto his present
AchArya from the above.)

>From Swamy Desikan on Rahasyagrantha paramparai (which is also SamAsrayaNa
>paramparai) the tree upto Tirukkudanthai Desikan is as given below:

SRI VEDANTA DESIKAN
Sri Brahmathanthra swathanthrar
GatikAsatham ammAL
VaradavishNvAchAryar
MahAdayAdheesar
Vaathsya AhobilAchAryar
Vaathsya VaradAchAryar
Shashta parAnkusa SwAmy
Sri Panchamatha bhanchanam thAtha Desikan
Vaathsya AnathAchAryar
RamanujAchAryar
VenkatAchAryar
VeerarAghavAchAryar
Sri Rangapathi Desikar
Ranganatha Swamy
Sri Saakshaath Swamy (reported to be an avtaar of Sri Ramanuja,- as Swamy
Desikan had longed to have direct AchArya sambandham with Emperumaanaar Sri
Ramanujacharya. (as Swamy Desikan lived from 1268 CE to 1369 CE, he naturally
could not have the bhAgyam of enjoying the darshan of studying directly under
Sri Ramanuja (1017 to 1137 CE)

TIRUKKUDANTHAI DESIKAN (1700 CE to 1782 CE)

After Thirukkudanthai Desikan, the acharya paramparai is:

Sri Tirukkudanthai Desikan- Sri Gopalarya Mahadesikan
Sri Vedantha Ramanuja Mahadesikan (Sri VazhutthUr Andavan)
Sri Srinivasaramanuja Mahadesikan (TirutthuRaippUNdi Andavan)
Sri Srinivasa Mahadesikan (PeriyANdavan)

Sri PeriyANdavan had Sri PadhukAsEvaka Ramanuja muni (also called Sri Chinna
Andavan), from whom Srirangam SrImad Andavan lineage. (Prakrutham Andavan is
H.H Sri SrimushNam Andavan)

SRI VELIYANALLOOR ANDAVAN (Sri Narayana Mahadesikan):
(Courtesy: Sri Anbil Ramaswamy Swamiâs Acharya Vamsa vriksham)

Among the distinguished disciples of Periya Andavan was one Vedaanta
Tatachariar of Sankarapuram. The Tatachariars who belong to hadamarshana Gotram
are  descendants  of  Sri  Nathamuni. Down their lineage we find such
celebrated Savants  as  Periya  Tirumalai  Nambi,  grandson  of  Sri
Yaamunaachaarya.  The Tatachariars  distinguished  themselves by devoted
service to the temple notably the  Tirumalai temple. They settled in five
different places viz., Sankarapuram, Bukkapattinam,  Satyamangalam and
Surapuram. It was from the Sankarapuram branch that  Sri  Vedaanta Tatachariar
Swami came and sought the feet of Periya Andavan and studied the Vedanta
Sastras under him.

Sri Krishna Tatachar Swami alias Tirup Putkuzhi Swami expressed his
inability to assume  Sannyasa  Asrama  on  account  of  his  hereditary
trusteeship  of Lord Varadaraja  temple  at  Kanchi.  Vedaantachariar  Swami
was considered. He was a Naishtika  Brahmachari  (Confirmed  bachelor),  who
knew  no other God than his Acharya.  He  prayed  for  admission to the ascetic
order, so that the remaining part  of  his  life  could be fully placed at the
service of his Acharya. Periya Andavan  acceded  to  his prayer and took him
into the holy order. He was named Sri  Narayana Maha Desikan.

Soon afterwards, Sri Narayana Maha Desikan left on a tour of
Divyadesas and reached Attiyur where he remained discoursing on Ubhaya
Vedanta  Sastras  and  administering  Pancha  Samskara,  Bharanyasa to those
who sought his feet.

On  hearing  that  Periya Andavan had attained the lotus feet of his
Acharya, he returned  to  Srirangam and prayed in his Brindavanam. He learnt
that his cousin and  co-disciple  under  Periya  Andavan  succeeded  him  as
Acharya as _Chinna Andavan_  in  Periyasramam but had also passed away. He was
greatly upset at the passing  away  of two yathis and desired to stay at
Periyasramam to continue the work of Periya Andavan. But, as he faced many
obstacles, he moved to Singar Koil where  he  stayed  for  a few days. Then, he
proceeded to Vennar bank, Thanjavur where he stayed till the end of his life.
Here he organized the annual festivals to  Swami  Desika  whose image had been
installed in Thanjai Neelameghap Perumal Koil  by  Nainar Acharya. He passed
away in his Asrama on the bank of Vennar and lies  interred  there.  Since
Velianallur Andavan was a cousin of Chinna Andavan (1825-1895  AD)  and
slightly his elder and outlived him by a few years, we may place him between
1825- 1900 AD.

His Tanian reads as follows:
Sri Vaasa Yogeendra Kripaathabotham Sri Saila Ramanuja Labda Sinham /
Vairaaghya Bhaktyaadhi Gunaikadhaanaam Naaraayanaakhyam Munim Aasrayaamah //

Meaning: _Let us take refuge in Narayana Muni who was a great Yogi full of
mercy, a hall mark acquired at the feet of Sri Srisaila Ramanuja and who was
full of auspicious qualities like detachment and dedication_
asmadhAchArya paryanthAm vandhE GuruparamparAmâ

For the chart, please see in:
http://munitrayam.org/andavanashram/avv_charts.html#top

Acharyan ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards