[compost_tea] Re: Re: Mesh & Microns - and poly questions

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:19:43 -0700

> So Kirk what size screen do you use to filter ACT? Last Friday I
> ordered a #12 mesh for $67. I decided to get the coarsest, which I
> thot might not plug the nozzles. I may wish for a #20 soon. Dennis

So what size holes does this mean? Per Mike's sample table, #12 seems like
maybe 1400 microns*(1.4mm)? Plastic or wire? Must be chunky material.
Where/who from? Just fabric or a formed/mounted filter? Seems sorta
"spendy"
as we say hereabouts...

I don't filter ACT but have friends who use same paint filters (which are a
buck or two) I described to do that. I've been using two different sizes of
paint filters to contain compost during tea making, one with about 1mm X
1/2mm holes, another with holes approx 3/4mm X 1/2mm. Picked up some
polyester fabric recently with holes that look to be about 3/4mm square to
make my own filters. None of these have mesh ratings I could find from
makers.

Blowing all this out of the water, I wonder about polyester filters (all
paint filters I've seen are polyester), suspecting they could inherently
cause fungal hangups. Seems to me the "poly" fibers could fuzz up and
tangle hyphae, even bacteria, especially after some use and wear. Judging
by discoloration, I think that happens. So I was pleased to finally find a
monofilament nylon filter the other day - the 600 micron/"about 30 mesh" I
mentioned - thinking it'd be less likely to do that. It's also much more
substantial material, so should last longer in addition to being more
cleanable. Might go for an "about 20 mesh" fabric - at my new source that's
800 micron openings - myself. Expect it'll cost a good bit more than paint
filters. Anybody found a good monofilament paint filter out there? They
seem to be in a good opening size ballpark, whatever the mesh...

Are you guys messing with me here? Or meshing?

-- Kirk

*Another micron measure for those who haven't heard it: An average human
hair is said to be 100 microns in diameter. Maybe that's the way we should
describe this stuff... is it 6 hairs or 12 hairs wide, hmm? All "split
hair" suggestions also accepted... just trying to get this mesh/micron stuff
straight.

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM