[compost_tea] Re: Mesh & Microns - and poly questions

From: a1l2e3x4ar <xela_at_netgate.com.uy>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:10:39 -0000

Kirk:

don't mess with the math of the mesh

the conversion, IMHO, shd be as follows 25,4mm(1") /20mesh = 1.27mm,
or 1270mc, so that 30mesh can't be 600mc: 25,4/30 = 0.847mm or 847mc.

correct me if I'm wrong, but according to this, those folks worried
by 3,5mc-fungi not passing thru a 20 mesh (or 30 or 50 for that
matter) may be at ease

cheers
alex
 --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Kirk Leonard" <kirk_at_o...> wrote:
> > So Kirk what size screen do you use to filter ACT? Last Friday I
> > ordered a #12 mesh for $67. I decided to get the coarsest, which
> > thot might not plug the nozzles. I may wish for a #20 soon.
Dennis

> So what size holes does this mean? Per Mike's sample table, #12
seems like
> maybe 1400 microns*(1.4mm)? Plastic or wire? Must be chunky
material.
> Where/who from? Just fabric or a formed/mounted filter? Seems
sorta
> "spendy"
> as we say hereabouts...
>
> I don't filter ACT but have friends who use same paint filters
(which are a
> buck or two) I described to do that. I've been using two different
sizes of
> paint filters to contain compost during tea making, one with about
1mm X
> 1/2mm holes, another with holes approx 3/4mm X 1/2mm. Picked up
some
> polyester fabric recently with holes that look to be about 3/4mm
square to
> make my own filters. None of these have mesh ratings I could find
from
> makers.
>
> Blowing all this out of the water, I wonder about polyester filters
(all
> paint filters I've seen are polyester), suspecting they could
inherently
> cause fungal hangups. Seems to me the "poly" fibers could fuzz up
and
> tangle hyphae, even bacteria, especially after some use and wear.
Judging
> by discoloration, I think that happens. So I was pleased to
finally find a
> monofilament nylon filter the other day - the 600 micron/"about 30
mesh" I
> mentioned - thinking it'd be less likely to do that. It's also
much more
> substantial material, so should last longer in addition to being
more
> cleanable. Might go for an "about 20 mesh" fabric - at my new
source that's
> 800 micron openings - myself. Expect it'll cost a good bit more
than paint
> filters. Anybody found a good monofilament paint filter out
there? They
> seem to be in a good opening size ballpark, whatever the mesh...
>
> Are you guys messing with me here? Or meshing?
>
> -- Kirk
>
> *Another micron measure for those who haven't heard it: An average
human
> hair is said to be 100 microns in diameter. Maybe that's the way
we should
> describe this stuff... is it 6 hairs or 12 hairs wide, hmm?
All "split
> hair" suggestions also accepted... just trying to get this
mesh/micron stuff
> straight.

Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV
Easily record your favorite shows!