Re: [compost_tea] kelp substitute

From: David Loring <dloring3_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:20:07 -0700

William - I got out my old Froth and Turk soil text. I've typed out the tw=
o formulas below and they look chemically quite different. As the organism=
s break these down it looks like Azomite might release Calcium instead of t=
he Magnesium in montmorillonite but that is only a small part of the story.=
 It says nothing about trace elements. The great thing about montmorilloni=
te is the edge and surface charge that holds nutrients and we don't know if=
 Azomite has that capacity, not that it matters when used in very small qua=
ntities as supplements.

      Azomite (from their web page)
                NaK2Ca5Al3Si21O706H2O

Montmorillionite in my old text book is (OH)4Si6(Al3.34Mg.66)O20

Dave