[compost_tea] Re: Wormgolds latest invention!!

From: ericgoodenough <sfo_at_gwi.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:41:20 -0000

Interesting...Isn't chitinase the enzyme that breaks down chitin?
And isn't chitin what hard bodied insects are made of? I wonder,
without stepping on anyone's toes: How could the home ACT brewer
encourage the production of "naturally formed chitinase" for
extraction in their teas? Add crab or shrimp meal? Add cricket
bodies? Would the presence of chitinase inhibit our efforts to grow
fungi in our composts/teas?

  --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "tomjasz" <tom_at_l...> wrote:
> Methods of using worm castings for fungal control
>

> Abstract
> The present invention describes a material and a method for
> controlling fungi. The method consists of disposing a naturally
> formed chitinase about an area to be protected. The naturally
formed
> chitinase is produced from worm castings and the worm castings may
be
> disposed naturally, in the form of timed-release pellets, or in a
> liquid form. The area to be protected includes plants and
structures.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511