[compost_tea] It is more than just the tea

From: Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:47:48 -0800

Someone commented that mycorrhizal fungi should be a part of a compost tea =
regimes. Actually, compost tea making and mycorrhizal fungi ARE part of the=
 soil foodweb system. We stress tea here, but if you don't have the appropr=
iate microbial foods (I no longer call these 'organic fertilizers') and the=
re isn't enough organic matter, the tea is as useless as Miracle-Gro. Compo=
st, mulches, ACT, mycorrhizal fungi, microbe nutrients, are all part of gr=
owing things using the soil foodweb science and are all open for discussion=
 here!

Put mycorrhizal spores into your teas just before you use them, not as you =
are making them.Steve Brustken of this list suggested to me that spraying t=
he roots of things before you plant them is the way to go. That sure was go=
od advice. Start spraying the roots of transplants with compost tea before =
you transplant.....and add mycorrhizal fungi spores to the spray while you =
are at it.

Cheers,

Jeff