[compost_tea] Keeping the Brew at Temp

From: kevin john richardon <kmagic_at_backpacker.com>
Date: 28 Sep 2003 10:38:31 -0000

Time to move the operation into the tub, dude, you're just gonna have to climb in with it. Or, pick yourself up an aquarium heater, bro.

The package will tell you what size heater : volume ratio is appropriate. For a 50 Gal brew, a 250-300 Watt aqaurium heater does the job nicely. In an outdoor operation with the temps are dipping below 50 degrees F, you may need to use more than one.

Pay attention to differences in design features such as the materials used and the lines/shape. Mine are glass (some folks would advise against this for fragility reasons, pulling the device out of the ambient water and subjecting it to a sudden temp diff may cause it to shatter, not in my experience, yet, also mine have smacked together and survived), stainless are available. I like the ones I got cause they're wicked easy to clean, not too many superflous crevisas and angles and such, just one cord, one stream lined dial on top of the glass rod, simple and effective. Also has safety features.

Company is called EBO-JAGER. Mr. Lowenfels recommended it to me I believe, cause they carry them around here in ANC at our local Feed store. Get yurself some.

There are bucket heaters available, for keeping livestock H2O unfrozen, but that can be tricky because they are hard to regulate.

The idea of using insulation around the brewing tank has also been raised; any thing from strawbales to pink panther crap to those swanky heat reflecting space blankets. Could do a barrel in a slightyly larger barrel with insulation (such as foam blown in) inbetween. This works well in conjunction with a low heat input.

Another beautiful Fall day in AK, happy star gazing, the Aurora is out tonite a bit,
Kev