Re: [compost_tea] Re: mycorrhizae and companies selling them - all not quiet in Sparkle City

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:22:56 -0400

Plugging up the irrigation system is of concern, and the fact that the spores are not delivered to the roots.

There is an easier way to deliver spores to the roots, if the coring is too laborious (as I recall, my recommendation for coring was for someone who wanted to save a few oak trees. Coring is fine for a few oak trees - depending on what you mean by "a few").

Angle a four foot bar from the drip line at about 30% angle (angle depends on your plants root distribution as well, so take that into account please), and rip under the roots of the plants while spraying the tea just behind the bar as it passes through the soil. The tea organisms, the spores, and foods get into the soil, presumably getting the spores to the roots as required.

I know people who have done this and their roots are coming back with higher colonization. I know people who have done this, and have not had success in getting the roots colonized. What are the critical factors in getting this to work? Getting the spores to the roots. You need to check that in fact that as you under-cut, you are catching some of the roots. You'll lose some roots. Don't rip off too many.....

The angle on the ripper is critical. Geeting the sprayer to get the tea down the cut is critical too. Working with a consultant on this might be a good idea.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY