Re: [compost_tea] AACT and Pasture

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:31:09 +0800

Brian I note your recipe as
.............using a mix of vermicast and woody compost along with molasses
(1 litre) and
humic acid (1 litre) as the inputs.
We only added 3 handfuls of woody compost for the first brew (1000 litre),
so will be adding more for the second brew. " "Trial and Test" to get it
right.............

IMHO follow recipes from the Compost tea brewers manual as a starting place.
Ensure DO remains above 6ppm through out the brew cycle. Keep temp above 23
degrees C, start brew at 27 to 28 deg C. (if you want brew in 24 hours)
Compost used in the CT machine MUST be tested for fungi, bacteria etc prior
to using in the machine. Otherwise you will waste valuable dollars on
testing CT that has been made with compost that may have low fungi!
Activate compost as per Bobs suggestions, this works well.
Use Kelp and Paramagnetic rock dust if you can find it. I use a super fine
paramagnetic rock dust that tests 2160 cgs (high) these materials give the
fungi something to grow on and supply rare earth minerals.
Reduce the Molasses by half at least, using vermicompost can feed bacteria
really well so it depends on amount of vermicompost you are using.
I use miuch higher rates of humic acid however I have no testing to verify
its effect.
I hope this helps.
Regards Mike Harvey
www.composttea.com.au

AACT
> > recipes.
> > I have used AACT fungal dominated on pasture (2nd year now)and have not
> > noticed any huge difference however I believe this is a long term
exercise.
> > Having said that the cattle have been doing really well with 100% or
more
> > calving with 8 and 9 year old cows, nil vet bills and nill drenching,
there
> > also seems to be a lot more fungi growing around the place, mushrooms
etc.
> > Regards Mike Harvey.
> >
> Mike,
> We have only made one brew so still lots to learn. Our SFI results were
as follows :
> Active Bacterial 3.4
> Total Bacterial 1183
> Active Fungal 0.71
> Total Fungal 2.17
> Fungal Hypha 3.3
>
> Our brew temperature went down to 10 C overnight, so we will be heating
overnight for the second brew to increase the activity. We are using a mix
of predominantly vermicast for our source of bacteria with some woody
compost for the fungal source, along with molasses and humic acid.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511