Re: [compost_tea] Chloramines

From: Eileen Calvanese <ecalvanese_at_bpcparks.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 10:13:06 -0400

On 10/4/03 6:06 PM, "George and Paulette Mouchet" <geomouchet_at_QNET.COM>
wrote:

> I know we talked about this before. Searching the archives is a problem
> for me so I'm going to ask again.
>
> What is the effect of chloramines on critters in finished tea? In other
> words, you've made the tea with clean water (no chlorine, no chloramines).
> Now you are going to add some water to the finished tea and apply this
> "extended" tea to your plants pronto. If this water that you use to extend
> the concentrated tea contains chloramines, how much of an effect will it
> have on the critters in the tea? They concentrated tea and the "tainted
> water" won't be together for very long because they will shortly be on the
> plant/soil.
>
> Can you counteract some of the negative impact of the chloramine water by
> "extending" your tea with less water and applying more critters per square
> foot?
>
> And as long as we're on this subject... How do the critters on the leaves
> and soil react to being watered with chloramine tainted water? The average
> homeowner is not going to remove the chloramines from their water before
> watering their lawns.
>
> Obviously watering with chloramine tainted water can't be good, but how bad
> is the damage in the long run?
>
> Paulette

I'm not sure about the chloramines -but with chlorinated water we
de-chlorinate in the spray tank before adding the tea. (We turn the agitator
on the tank for a while to de-chlorinate, or if not using a tank with an
agitator just let it stand for about 1/2 hour) -Eileen

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511