Re: [compost_tea]

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:10:01 -0400

I have never seen DO drop down and bounce back up all that rapidly, or perhaps I should say drop down and then recover so fast that readings at 5 minute intervals didn't catch it. We have backed off to reading every 15 minutes. Getting too much data to live with otherwise.

If DO did drop below 6 ppm for 5 minutes, the organisms can dea lwith that condition and make it through short periods. We have seen loss of active fungal hyphae in as short as 20 minutes at low oxygen, but usually it is when oxygen is gone for 5 to 6 hours that the aerobic organisms really give up and go to sleep or die.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY