[compost_tea] Re: Re: Re: measuring aeration

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:59:05 -0700

> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:56:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Re: Re: measuring aeration

> !0 PSI Kirk? maybe you can but you would be super man. 1 psi is about it
for a human blowing HARD. Testing I did on Bitti air system was with the
aerator restrictions in place. Just over 1 cfm. <
Good to hear, that's what I thought. Thanks for info. Sure seems like a
good air supply for a 10-30 gallon machine. Recall i said "burst" pressure
in suggesting we could do 10 psi:). Ya, no way to sustain that. Much as I
might like to be superman, I'm definitely not. My guess comes from feeling
the air from your pumps (even in burst mode) and others... very light...
compared to sucking air, puckering up, and blowing on my fingers. Lots of
pressure there... a truly scientific thing, I know, but a burst, not
continuous...

> Why don't water pumped systems report the air they generate? I think they
would have a hard time measuring the air injected by the water action.. Bob
<
Tom's answer is a good one, and there are a couple sources of air, I think.
Venturi's introduce air into the pump stream, and DO and water equilibrate
under pressure. As pump pressure forces air bubbles out of water I believe
physics would confirm oxygen is taken in from top at same time, sustaining
DO. As bubbles get pushed out, DO comes in. Same principle seems to
operate in waterfalls and flowforms, and a lot of food prep, I think. Could
be all the critters in tea also boost that effect, hmm? Does seem to me
you'd be in real trouble when you needed more air faster, though. But DO
specs seem solid. Makes knowing and working with baro/temp details more
important.

On a totally other subject, this pressure-induced air exchange is why I
still believe stirred teas can be good and safe (remember those big fat
wooden kitchen fork bubbles:) - as "nutrient teas," soil drenches, but I've
also heard of folks straining and spraying them and happy with results. And
for the life of me, I can't see a big difference between a tea-pumper and
tea-stirring, except more horsepowers.:-)

Kirk L

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511