[compost_tea] Re: Leasing Wormgold Extractors available

From: tomjasz <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:10:26 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Carole Eddington
<cjeddington_at_e...> wrote:

4. Water Treatment
       a. Reverse Osmosis Unit Included with System
     b. Reduction of any impurities in well or city water (salt,
chlorine, etc)
     c. Removal of most sodium chloride that might inhibit beneficial
microorganism growth
     d. Preliminary water testing and pretreatment of water dependent
upon conditions

GE Water Technologies (General Electric) manufacturers of membranes.

"Chloramine removal by reverse osmosis has not been well documented.
Preliminary indications are that HR (CA) membrane will not reject
significant percentages of the monochloramine form. Much like
chlorine, it will pass through to the permeate side and thus work as
a sanitizer on downstream portions of the system. Dichloramine and
trichloramine forms would be expected to have greater rejection
potential due to their larger mass and higher ionic character,
however, precise data is not available."

Some of the salts rejected are clearly of value to our process.
Additionally at least 2 gallons are rejected for every gallon
produced. In an application producing 500G 3 times a week would
create waste water with a high TDS. In 7 months this means 42,000G
just as a part of tea making are wasted. Not to bad unless we start
using RO for our application at a 5/1 ratio. If we do that we waste
in excess of 210,000 gallons high TDS of water. Any idea as to the
effect of putting that water down onto the soil? We are now in a
scenario of great interest to the EPA!!! (unless our makeup water is
not RO produced, if thats the case whats the point in the first
place?)

SUSTAINABLE?

TYPICAL MEMBRANE REJECTIONS

SALTS

CATIONS
Name Symbol Percent Rejection Percent Passage (Average) Maximum
Concentration Percent
Sodium Na+ 95-97 4 3-4
Calcium Ca+2 96-98 3 *
Magnesium Mg+2 96-98 3 *
Potassium K+1 95-97 4 3-4
Iron Fe+2 98-99 2 *
Manganese Mn+2 98-99 2 *
Aluminum Al+3 99+ 1 5-10
Ammonium NH4+1 88-95 8 3-4
Copper Cu+2 98-99 1 8-10
Nickel Ni+2 98-99 1 10-12
Zinc Zn+2 98-99 1 10-12
Strontium Sr+2 96-99 3 -
Hardness Ca and Mg 96-98 3 *
Cadmium Cd+2 96-98 3 8-10
Silver Ag+1 94-96 5 *
Mercury Hg+2 96-98 3 -
ANIONS
Chloride Cl-1 95-97 4 3-4
Bicarbonate HCO3-1 95-96 4 5-8
Sulfate SO4-2 99+ 1 8-12
Nitrate NO3-1 93-96 6 3-4
Fluoride F-1 94-96 5 3-4
Silicate SiO2-2 95-97 4 -
Phosphate PO4-3 99+ 1 10-14
Bromide Br-1 94-96 5 3-4
Borate B4O7-2 35-70** - -
Chromate CrO4-2 90-98 6 8-12
Cyanide CN-1 90-95** - 4-12
Sulfite SO3-2 98-99 1 8-12
Thiosulfate S2O3-2 99+ 1 10-14
Ferrocyanide Fe(CN)6-3 99+ 1 8-14

*Must watch for precipitation, other ion controls maximum
concentration.

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!