Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: Worm Food & Molasses

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:31:41 +0800

From: "Kirk Leonard" <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>

> to use molasses, and for basic safety. Question: Is molasses worth the
> electric costs and DO risks?>
> -- Kirk L
 The work done on Molasses CT by Dr E showed very high bacterial numbers
with corresponding good to excellent fungi, Basidiomycete dominated (if my
memory serves me correctly).
I have confirmed this with 6% molasses CT with similar test results.
This type of work with molasses can only be done with the correct equipment
ie highly efficient O2 transfer ( I use very efficient membrane diffusers)
with large volumes of air. Reliable DO meter is required.
I have had experience using AACT at high rates (500 litres per ha per
fortnight) on Strawberries with little result. On reflection it was pointed
out to me that the soils were very low in Org matter and high in salts
(soluble fert), this I believe is the explanation. We inoculated with AACT
however there was little food for the critters to live on. Thus how to
introduce food for the critters without excessive cost?? Molasses could be
used through the drip line however if it is not "pre composted" it may cause
an increase in pathogenic organisms??
The preferred option would be to use compost pre planting however growers I
deal with are reluctant to do this at this stage.
So I believe there is a clear role for Molasses CT above 5%. This would
provide the right organisms as well as food source thus improving the
success rate in using AACT. Note we use Humic acid as well as the Molasses
tea.
Regards Mike Harvey www.composttea.com.au

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511