[compost_tea] Humic acid and calciium nitrate

From: chriscreid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:51:02 -0000

Tim Kiphart mentioned an incompatibility problem between humic acid
and CaNO3, or Ca. Mike Harvey said he didn't know of anything.

The bottle of 21 per cent humic acid (Bio Hume from Fertrell) I have
contains a specific warning not to mix it with CaNO3. No
explanation.

Perhaps the explanation lies in the fact that humic acid does not
equal humic acid. My bottle is based on leonardite, which must be
treated in order to make the humic acid available, if I understand
previous archived posts correctly. Thus, it's alkaline even tho
it's 21 per cent humic acid. So Tim, does it have to do with the
humic acid per se, or with other ingredients that are used to make
it perform the way non-leonardite humic acid would perform?

By the way, what are the other sources of humic acid, and what is
the difference between "humates" and "humic acid", as in "apply
humates to the soil"?

That was my first bottle of humic acid. From what I have been
reading, the leonardite-based humic acids take longer to work in the
soil, have more sediment that will not be easy to decompose, and
seem to be not the first choice. So perhaps this should be my last
bottle of leonardite-based humic acid??

Chris Reid

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.