Re: [compost_tea] Re: Nelson Ranch - Air

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:33:16 -0800 (PST)

Reply below

Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com> wrote:
> Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:56:47 -0800 (PST)
> From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Nelson Ranch

> Yahoo ! was frequent as we brewed 1500 gallons at a time, transported
the brewer on trailer to the field, brewing the entire trip... Air delivered: 125 cfm at 88 inches deep. <

How Bob? Not using 1.5cfm linear pumps, I assume. Rotaries, diaphragms,
blowers, compressors? How did you put that much air through what kind of
container and aerators? That's over 3500lpm, for metric heads, mucho air,
a/w in cf or liters = .62, hmm? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Kirk L
Being afflicted by the british 'system' of measures I think and write in CFM, inches and such. You can do the metric conversion. Yeah, I could too but realy busy.

a BIG air pump It provided the same air rate per gallon as we used in the test runs Kevin and I ran at SFI. 1 cfm per 10 gallons. So we held the nutrients per CFM a bit ligher than the level used at SFI where we ran into low DO2. Subsequent series of test made here demonstrated that it is nutrients per CFM, not gallons per CFM that are critical to the D O2 consumed. Let me corredt that- Nutrients and compost combined are critical and of course, neither , it is the microbe numbers and activity that demands air, not gallons. Low temps and mechanical disturbance will lower the microbe activity.

Temps during the 1500 g brewing were 80F, dropping to 76F during the brewing process.

 Please don't blame the problems we had at SFI on SFI. K&I designed and ran the tests. Once going we held the air and nutrients per the test design to stress the system. Short of a stressed condition we could not learn much about system limits, air requirements related to compost and nutrients. Developmental testing must reach and exceed the limits of the system to learn anything.

During this 1500 g brew we recorded a low D O2 of 7.3. How much air is 127 CFM 88" deep ? Enough 2 foot high waves in the tank to rock the 1500 g tank and trailer. We took movies of the air as it first started rising thru the clear water I wish we could put such movies on the internet. Maybe we can find a way Bob

11

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT