Re: [compost_tea] Humic acid and calciium nitrate

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:05:44 +0800

Chris et al,
A little chemistry may help. Ca exists primarily as Ca Co3- Limestone and
marble and CaSo4 -gypsum, Calcium sulphate. CaNitrate is a synthesised form
and is unstable.When using Calcium Nitrate, Fulvic acid should be used not
Humic acid. So it depends on what form the Ca is in as to compatibility as I
understand it.
Ca can only exist in an unstable form as the ion Ca++ and is a metal
(electrically speaking in plants and animals it functions as a capacitor-
Reams) .
Calcium Carbonate is very stable and does not react at all with Humic acid
(based on my experience), however I have been using leonardite-based humic
acid perhaps other Humic acids are more reactive??
Are there Humic acids available that have data showing an improvement in
Fungi growth in the soil?
Is there data from SFI re particular Humic acids that perform well in AACT.
I am particularly interested in Australian sources?
Regards Mike Harvey

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511