Re: [compost_tea] Begginer help

From: Stuart Baxter <stu.baxter_at_virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:38:43 -0000

Hi Oliver

>From one beginner to another :o}........

Every time I think I'm up to speed with Compost Tea I find out that there's=
 another variable. For that reason I would advise that you use earth tea pr=
oducts or their advice on additives because they will have been tested. Whe=
n you try your own recipes it looks like you will need a $500-ish Dissolved=
 Oxygen meter and possibly extra air to maintain aerobicity at 6 parts per =
million if brewing a full load. Alternatively you could test brew small lot=
s in a bucket+air, put a cupful in a large-ish clean sealed (plastic) bottl=
e and let it stand for 24 hours. When you carefully crack the seal if it sm=
ells 'orrible it means it went anaerobic and is fit for wasteland only.

I had a quick look at alfalfa tea; apparently does wonders for roses, on it=
s own. But it did say it ferments and stinks which makes it anaerobic. Why =
not use alfalfa in your compost heap for inclusion in your recipe?

Be well

Stuart