[compost_tea] Re: PEAT BOGS NO!

From: hi_yield1 <hi_yield1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 03:45:50 -0000

Yes it was a good read. In Anchorage there is so little good
ground left to build on realators are selling and builders are
building on what was once nothing more than forested black spruce
bogs. The good humus is being bought and sold by a few
entrepreneurs. Those are just the facts of life. So is it wrong for me
to go out and dig some up before it is sold to CT users around the
world?? We still drive our cars and SUVs knowing that petro as we know
it is not a renewable resource but hey we have enough to last our
lifetime?? We are outstriping our natural resources 2-1. Untill we can
get a grip on our population growth and a reluctance to recycle, we
have a problem. I believe mother earth has recycled everything and
everyone several million times over. How much old growth forest are
left in the lower 48 states? How much has burnt to the ground because
of poor Forest Service management. Life is all about regeneration.
Alaska is what the other 48 states once was. Pristine and beautiful,
untouched by man. So if we really want to make a difference dont drive
a car, don't use electricity, and grow more of our own food ,oh yes
recycle.Take care.
--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Jono Neiger" <talltree22_at_r...>
wrote:
> I appreciated Elaine's explanation of Peat Bogs. I noticed her
reference to
> the time it takes for them to develop and the pace which they are
being
> "mined". For all intents and purposes these are not replaceable
ecosystems.
> These are not renewable resources. Peat Bogs are like old growth
trees just
> a lot wetter. I was distressed to see some(one?) posting a note to
someone
> else recommending finding a peat bog and digging into it for their
tea
> brewing materials. We shouldn't even be buying at local garden
centers.
> There are better and more appropriate materials. Please folks, use
some
> ethics and discrimination particularly if you are giving free
advice and
> putting it out on the internet for others.
>
> I believe CT has a lot of potential for fixing some of what we
humans have
> screwed up but lets not lose sight of that goal. Happy brewing.
>
> Jono Neiger
> Leverett, MA

Add

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/