Re: [compost_tea] Peat? No!

From: David Loring <dloring3_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:01:52 -0800

Jeff - Unless it is sterilized by the packager, and I don't think anyone do=
es this, peat is definitely not a sterile product. It probably has less di=
versity than it's composted brothers such as products like Alaska humus tha=
t are sold around the world for potting mixes but if you put a little peat =
on some growing media it grows lots of fungi, yeasts and bacteria. I found=
 at least two strains of Trichoderma, a common decomposer and sometimes ben=
eficial fungus in the peat from my local Home Depot.

Dave Sotillo 50