RE: [compost_tea] The toxic part of aloe

From: Tom Jaszewski <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:14:13 -0800

Unless I missed a line in this thread there is no mention of any specific
aloe. It’s a rather large group of plants. When westerners talk about aloe
it’s often Aloe Vera. Correctly named Aloe barbadensis. There are many
references to the medicinal use, Julie and I regularly consume Aloe
barbadensis “Miller”. Other Aloe can be very toxic. I don’t remember the
name of the SA poster but he may have some reports on the use since Aloe
spp. are very common there.

This from Dr. Vandana Shiva and Research Foundation for Science, Technology
and Ecology
http://www.vshiva.net/archives/naturefacts/aloe_barbadensis.htm

>From Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility
http://sis.agr.gc.ca/pls/pp/ppack.info?p_null=Aloe+barbadensis&p_type=all&p_
sci=comm
<http://sis.agr.gc.ca/pls/pp/ppack.info?p_null=Aloe+barbadensis&p_type=all&p
_sci=comm>

A CHEMICAL INVESTIGATION OF ALOE BARBADENSIS MILLER*
G. R. Waller, S. Mangiafico† and C. R. Ritchey‡
Department of Biochemistry, Oklahoma Agricultural Experimental Station,
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
Free amino acids, free monosaccharides and total saccharides released upon
hydrolysis, sterols, and triterpenoids of the
leaves of Aloe barbadensis Miller leaves were determined. Some seventeen
amino acids, D-glucose, and D-mannose were
present in the water-soluble fraction. Cholesterol, campesterol,
ß-sitosterol, and lupeol were found in substantial amounts in
the lipid fraction. An unknown(s) alkaloid was detected using Dragendorff's
reagent.

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/oas/oas_pdf/v58/p69_76.pdf

Tom Jaszewski
www.livesoil.com