Re: [compost_tea] Mushrooms

From: David Loring <dloring3_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:23:43 -0800

Elaine - I checked several places, the USDA website, Canadian companies tha=
t harvest and sell peat moss to the US and California Dept. of Agriculture =
and there is no mention of pasturization for peat products. I also called =
the Scott's company and they don't use peat that has been pasturized.

Here is a clip from Premire Horticulture about their peat based products.
  Are disease organisms present in peat moss?

  It is rare to find disease organisms in peat moss that harm greenhouse cr=
ops. Since most greenhouse crops and common greenhouse weeds do not grow in=
 bogs, the disease organisms that attack them are usually not present.

  Previous studies studies have found pythium spores in peat bogs, but they=
 are present in such low numbers that they do not pose a problem. Keep in m=
ind that there are also several beneficial organisms including trichoderma =
and beneficial bacteria that help combat disease organisms.

  Is peat moss sterilized?

  "No". Sphagnum peat moss has many beneficial organisms with few disease o=
rganisms. More harm can occur if peat moss is sterilized, because the benef=
icial organisms would be destroyed. There would no longer be competition fo=
r disease organisms, so they can quickly establish and devastate crops.

  Dave