[compost_tea] Re: Why There are Spores in Peat - Pasteurization vs. Sterilization

From: chriscreid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 04:34:28 -0000

Dennis Kemnitz asked:

> Chris that brings the question in my mind, where are the spores on
> the morel mushroom? Seems like one spore would produce at most one
> edible mushroom. I have lots of morels in and around my poison ivy
> patch here in our KS timber(hoosiers call it brush). Dennis Kemnitz

I reply:

Dennis you give me far too much credit. Whatever I was looking up
was best found on a mushroom site, but I am not a shroom expert. My
Alexander Smith field guide mentions that the spores are in spore
sacs, and my guess is these would be located in the wrinkles on the
surface of the morel. But I don't know because my sister won't tell
me where she finds hers, and I have never seen one in the wild!

We may be straying pretty close to the edge of off topic here...so
maybe somebody can tell you if you can get a bigger crop by putting
the spores in your tea, or if they'll help your conifers in a very
fungal brew!

Chris Reid

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511