Re: [compost_tea] compost application

From: Perry Clutts <addy_at_dragonbbs.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:36:12 -0500

Dennis,

We use a New Leader L7020 spreader. Works well, is DGPS ready if you want
variable field application. We just use the radar to assist with ground
speed variation. We've had it 4 years with no trouble, although it does not
get used a whole bunch... nobody else around here that makes/uses compost so
we don't get to custom apply for others...
We applied 2 tons/acre this year... Do not expect 2 tons to look like
much.... not even 10 tons (we've tried that in the past to see if there were
yield differences).... http://www.highwayequipment.com/PDF/env.pdf (second
photo on front cover) ours is trailer mounted and pulled with a tractor, not
truck mounted.

In addition to using compost, we use compost tea throughout the growing
season (after a hay cutting or after the forage has been grazed). Anyone
have ideas of how much is too much? What kind of potential pollution
problems can arise in agronomic applications. Since ours is going on forage
crops will the biology consume the additional nutrients the plants don't
use. Do we assume P & K levels will rise with compost and compost tea as
they will with manure application?

Perry