[compost_tea] Re: Air Diffuser, Fungal Brew, and Test Results

From: dakesian1 <dakesian_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:08:03 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "chriscreid" <reidchris_at_e...>
wrote:

> > My favorite "uncommon" ingredient is the bonemeal however.
>
> That would make me a little nervous. The organic standards for
NOFA
> land care (Northeast Organic Farmers' Association) specify that
only
> domestic bone meal can be used, but how do you and I know the
origin
> of the bone meal we're buying?
>
> Maybe somebody on the list can provide some facts about mad cow
> disease and any possibility of its spreading through bone meal. I
> would welcome more input on the topic.
>
> As Bob Norsen pointed out, he and others have not found a
connection
> between foam and good test results. From what I've read and
> discussed with others on the list, it seems to have more to do
with
> what ingredients you're using and their physical properties than
it
> does the resulting tea quality.
>
> Chris Reid

Producing bonemeal in the USA has always involved a two stage
process. The first is soaking in strong caustic soda solution. The
second stage is steam heating or other heating methods.

In England, they eliminated the caustic soda treatment in order to
save money back in the 1970's and 1980's. Scientists think that is
why their bonemeal could still have been infected with the disease.

Also, in the USA, there has been no discovery of one cow with mad
cow's disease. Not that it's impossible but it hasn't occurred yet
according to the authorities.

This is one of those "scares" that has been blown way out of
proportion IMHO.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511