[compost_tea] bone meal and mad cow

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:18:41 -0500

In terms of whether the mad cow fear is overblown, I tend to respect the
possibility and since it is no big deal for me to use another source of
phosphorus, choose to do so. It can take up to 10 years for the disease to
manifest itself. Thus, if there were a problem, it's quite possible that it
would not be discovered until long after the contamination occurred.

The US has under the current administration decreased its testing of beef.
This article below is from a citizen interest group, and is not footnoted so
we can know the source of its info. It, however, describes the hesitation I
have about whether domestic sources of beef are in fact free of disease. We
test far less stringently than other countries, and Germany, which once
claimed not to have mad cow, started testing more stringently and found out
it was wrong.

http://seattle.earthsave.org/TestCowsNow.pdf

The next question that I am unclear about is: how do we know that producers
of fertilizers sold in the US are using domestic sources of bone meal that
have been processed according to the standards dakesian1 has described. It
sounds like if we could know that, then the risks of bonemeal being a source
of mad cow would be unlikely to be present.

I still don't know the answer to that part of the question.

Chris Reid

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511