[compost_tea] Fungal Compost

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:19:20 -0800

Matt's compost also seems worthy of some comments, too, given its
specificity. How big is a "bucket" Matt? How many buckets in 25 tons?

> Recipe used for compost.

> 2 bucket loads of the 1/4 dairy manure, 1/4 poultry manure, and 1/2 leaf
mold compost combination, 1 bucket load of old single run bark mulch (full
of hyphae), and 1 bucket load of 1 yr old leaf mold (more hyphae).

> We also added approximately 7.5 lbs of insoluble humic acid to the windrow
of 20 - 25 tons of compost that was made. The windrow was turned 2 times
with a large scale windrow compost turner, one of those times was right
before sampling.

Sounds to me like a great way to make a good fungal compost. What's the
time frame? Two turns is not much. Two turns in heap composting is
probably sufficient to start (six or more months to go...) but windrows
usually involve more turns in a shorter time, don't they?

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511