RE: [compost_tea] Fungal Compost

From: Ryan, Matthew <matthew.ryan_at_rodaleinst.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:03:25 -0500

Hi Again,

The bucket is approximately 1 cubic yard. The compost added was wet,
while the bark mulch was dryer with lots of air space. I thought this
was going to have a C:N ratio of about 40:1 (based on looking at it
volume wise), but when we tested this compost it had a C:N ratio of 19.6
weight and dry weight basis. Does anyone one know if the standard for
organic compost (NOP rule 205.203 (c)(2)(i) Established an initial C:N
ratio of between 25:1 and 40:1) is based on dry or wet weight, or
volume? I always assumed volume (from a personal gardeners point of
view), but all test results from labs are based on dry weight, correct?
So to actually have a compost with a C:N of 40:1 you would basically
need wood mulch? If that's the case all of that carbon would suck up
any N available and actually inhibit growth.

This mixture was put together and spread with in a month. Note the
compost portion of this mixture was mature compost from last spring. The
turning seemed adequate, unless your referring to some regulation. In
that case this could be considered manure if there was ever a problem
with regs (manure can be applied 120 days in advance of harvest).

Penn State Compost Analysis Report
Weight basis
pH - 7.9
Salts - 1.56 mmhos/cm