[compost_tea] Systemic bacteria..

From: <laura_s_at_vaxxine.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:05:23 -0500

Elaine wrote

>Hi Laura -

>To document that the bacteria are inside and systemic in the plant means
you have to >>>show pictures of the plant tissues with bacteria inside the
xylem.

>I get people claiming systemic microbial growth, but it is just the
microbes being >>>>>carried all over the surface of the plant by the
taxicabs in the real world - >>>>>>microarthropods, nematodes, insects,
protozoa. The bacteria or fungus are not >>>>inside the plant.

So I wrote to Dr. Nowak and here is his reply :

>Dear Ms. Sabourin,
>Thank you for your inquiry. Our Burkhoderia sp. strain PsJN (the best
plant growth >>>>>promoter we came across so far), establishes itself in
xylem and also forms >>>>>>>>>>epiphytic populations on root and stem
surfaces. It has been tested with >>>>>>potato, tomato, grapes, sweet
pepper and cucumber. In potatoes, the largest >>>>>>>surface populations
are at leaf nodes (where auxillary buds are located) and in >the places
where secondary root branching occurs. Most of the Rhizobia we tested do
not get established inside stems (either in xylem or intercellular spaces),
although they colonize root interior. One of my collaborators, Dr. Gefu
Wang-Pruski, tested several strains of plant disease inhibitors
(Pseudomonas and Bacillus spp.) and found that most of them were able to
colonize stem interior. I have several images from various studies showing
these colonization patterns (using GFP and GUS labeled bacteria). A
manuscript containing these images will be submitted for publication late
December or early January.
Best regards, Jerzy

Laura Sabourin
EcoVit Ecologically Sound Horticultural Products
Tea-riffic Aerobic Compost Tea and Acadian Seaplant Products
RR # 1
St Catharines, Ontario L2R 6P7
http://www.ecovit.ca
http://www.compost-tea.ca