[compost_tea] RE:Tilling

From: Tim Kiphart <kiphart_at_ev1.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:08:39 -0600

I agree with Susan that tilling is the quickest and "best" option for
building soil on impacted construction sites. I also agree with the points
David listed. Of course, limiting construction impact should be our NUMBER
1 concern...utilizing the "Building Envelope" or other sensitive approach.
Finish grading is usually fine for the lawn and development zones further
away from the house (so long as they are not wooded), and as David said,
organic materials can be incorporated.

One other construction issue that needs mentioning is "fill" material,
especially around the house. Here in south-central Texas, a red, silty clay
alluvium is used. Despite being alluvial it is affectionately called "RED
DEATH". The only way to work with this material is by incorporating large
amounts of organic matter. I usually till in 6" of compost. With this
approach, I have found the end product to be quite productive.

Thanks for all the great discussion.

Tim

Hi Susan. I agree, construction zones are a special case. I am
normally an advocate for no till, no fluff, no turn, no dig, no
lift, no plow, no disk, no fork, and all the other euphemisms for
tilling. However, in a construction zone, the landscape would
normally be left compacted, rutted, cloddy, and with high hills and
deep swales going in every direction. But here again, I would never
suggest a homeowner try to rototill that kind of landscape back to
level. There are professionals called finish graders who do that
for a living. They will bring in a small tractor with a box blade
and forks on the back to establish a grade and drainage away from
the buildings. A homeowner normally would not know where to start
to do that - especially armed with a rototiller. The box blade and
forks will turn the soil, break up clods, pull out construction
rubble or rocks, and leave the surface looking like a pool table
(with drainage). What it will not do is pulverize the soil
structure. Sure it does a lot of damage but it does not do the
continual churning that a rototiller does.

The finish grader will also incorporate any amendments the homeowner
wants. This would be a great time to put in 6 inches of excellent
compost (or compost tea) and a couple sacks of corn meal, alfalfa
pellets, cottonseed meal, flour, feathers, hair, blood, or whatever
protein sources you have to kick start the compost microbes. Like
Susan said, you don't have anything to lose with construction
sites.

The other time I sometimes make an exception to no till is in
reclamation of a chemical spill area. I believe microbes are
usually the answer but the right microbes might not live at all
depths where the chemical is a problem. Then you might have to till
a few times to bring the chemicals and microbes in contact with each
other.

David Hall
San Antonio, TX

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511