Re: [compost_tea] protozoa, hay and adding hay to tea

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:33:03 -0800

Be careful using grass clippings. Many grass products such as Weed and Fee=
d and the like contain some nasty herbicides. These are supposed to break =
down in the soil after 60 days and I have no doubt that they do under contr=
olled situations. Wild harvest grass clippings can have any number of resi=
dual inputs. Dump these in your compost and you are transferring the bad s=
tuff.

Washington State University did a number of tests that show Plicotin and ot=
her residuals are potentially cancerous at 1PPB (yes, that's billion) and t=
he results of those studies have virtually shut down several composting ope=
rations in Washington state.

I'm not directly citing here but I think all grasswaste cannot be composted=
 at existing facilities or are under some severe restrictions. I'll have to=
 recheck to be sure.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth