Re: [compost_tea] Biocontrol of VERTICILLIUM WILT in tomatoes

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:37:04 EST

Penicillium oxalicum is commonly present in many soils, typically as a spore.
 Waking up this spore and getting it to grow can be tricky. As I recall
(memory could be faulty), this fungus requires fairly high levels of carbohydrate
in order to become active. Thus only in certain conditions would it begin to
grow on a plant surface, but those conditions would likely be when something
like Verticillium attacks the plant. So, it seems a perfect control organism,
sicne it is triggered by the disease it controls.

Penicillium oxalicum would have little effect on most other foodweb
organisms, as it isn't typically growing except in specific conditions.

Elaine
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic