Re: [compost_tea] Re: back pack sprayers to use for compost teas?

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:58:35 -0800 (PST)

Ted - Most fittings are brass. Copper and tin. Tin is less toxic, more stable. combined more stable. fitting are perhaps 0.1% of the area of the tank x 0.5% of the action in brass = 0.1x0.5 = 0,05% of the effect, fittings compared to tenk.0 .0005/1 ( Reality ? )

Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net> wrote:Elaine:

This gets me wondering if processed copper, such as a tank or sprayer, is available to the microbes. I would imagine that the nitrogen added as inputs to tea may corrode a copper tank but is this as available as copper sulfate which is the antifungal/bacterial used in ag? Maybe the copper is there but unavailable. I'm not sure.

I mean certain anerobes create a sulfate which is relatively harmless (rotten egg smell) until other anerobic bacteria fix it into sulferic acid where it becomes destructive.

If you put aerobes into a copper container which may or may not react with the copper would they be harmful and cause corrosion and would this so damage the tea as to make it unusable? I thought aerobes didn't produce the kind of byproducts that can be refixed by other bacteria into harmful heavy acids. (I am aware that there are acid reactions but on such a small level with aerobes that the side-effect would seem to be insignificant.)

This is very interesting because many sprayers utilize copper fittings and many nozzles are copper or contain copper. As what point are they unusable?

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth