[compost_tea] cleaning machines

From: chriscreid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 03:27:59 -0000

Bill and all,

"So saying that a brewer is not worthy of purchasing because it
basically produces poison after so many brews without cleaning
because the so called testing authority doesn't like to clean is
kind of ridiculous."

Unfair knock, I think. Can we just stop a minute on piling it on
about cleaning? We need to sort out some issues and get some facts
here.

First, the brewer in question is made using soaker hose. The soaker
hose is made from recycled rubber and this has been shown to be a
source of carcinogens. You may or may not be worried about this,
and it may or may not be an issue for organic folks. It is not
possible to verify the state of cleanliness of the hose section, and
it is hard to clean. Thus, rather than to possibly impact the
quality of tea you are making, it's replaced. Not because anyone is
lazy or whining, okay?

Second, cleaning a brewer is not a moral or philosophical issue. I
have asked people who have discovered their tests are coming out
with poor quality and then cleaned and have them improve to post the
test results so that we can see the amount of difference there is.
Then people can decide for themselves if this is an issue or not.

Third, the reason elbows are an issue is that if you can't see or
can't easily clean, then you have a brewer that either costs you a
lot of money to use (time equals money) and adds on to the already
high amount of time it takes to brew tea commercially because you
have to stop, get out tools disassemble it, reassemble. Everybody
decides what's important to them, but I think for this issue to be
on the table as a factor in brewer selection, and as a point of
consideration in brewer design, is helpful.

Thank you for being a manufacturer who does not indulte in
advertising and for using the list as it is intended, Bill - in
partnership with others on the list who are interested in advancing
knowledge about tea.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: