Re: [compost_tea] Tea-riffic brewer cleaning

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:04:32 -0500

So, who thought that Laura's post was an advertisement?

I don't see it as an ad at all, because I asked her about her machine, and it's ease of cleaning. It sounds like a breeze to clean, and believe me, that's an important issue.

Which of the people on thlis list want to spend two hours or more cleaning the bio-film out of hard-to-reach places on your machine?

Which of you want to volunteer to have to pop pipes apart after each brew so you can get to the bottom of the discs in your brewer? Discs which have bio-film so thick that you can run your fingers across the bottom and get smelly bio-film? What do you think that does to your tea quality? No protozoa, no good nematodes, active fungal biomass barely detectable, and low total fungal biomass. You think you would have protection from mildew? Think again.

SFI has a study currently in review in Applied Soil Ecology, the premier SCIENTIFIC journal in this area about our work for THREE YEARS in vineyards controlling mildew and grey mold.

Why didn't we publish before? Good lord folks, the study was THREE YEARS long! Give me a break!

The bacteria, fungi, protozoa and nematodes in the tea are what determine quality of the tea. There is clear and unequivocal data on the Compost Tea Brewing Manual showing the studies we have done PROVING, in as much as anything can be proven in this world, that compost tea does what I say it does, and the REASON is the beneficial organisms in the tea.

I'm sorry that people think it is expensive to test. The techs in the lab get paid to run the samples. They have families to feed and rent to pay, just like me. Stop complaining about the cost, it is what it is, and barking at me won't change that.

SFI has run a great deal of testing for free. SFI just about went under this year, because we do run so much for free. The Compost Tea Grant cost about $20,000 to run this year, and about $35,000 the year before, all done for free so you people could have knowledge about the tea brewers that I don't charge you for. Should I start charging for the knowledge I gift you with? I can do that.

When I say that Bob's Brewer doesn't have a problem with the 90 turn, it is because NO ONE has EVER demonstrated this problem to me - EVER.

I have experience showing no problem with that pipe.

If you have DATA, pictures, solid information suggesting otherwise, I would appreciate seeing it.

Attacking me, or others, will not solve anything. I have no experience of a problem, and until you show data showing a problem, why am I supposed to bad mouth Bob? Should I vilify Linda's brewer because someone someday might show that they have a problem with it?

Linda, do you have an experience showing a problem with Bob's Brewer? I assume that's what everyone is so upset about. Is it so terrible that I said I've never seen a problem with that brewer in the 90 degree turn? Could you all please focus on the specific problem so it can get solved, and not just nastily attack everything and everyone?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY