Re: [compost_tea] Re: cleaning machines

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:13:06 -0800

Well, study where film might build up. Where do bacteria go when they over=
populate their environment. I have found that if I get a lot of film that =
I am either adding too much nutrient or not enough or my brew gets into hig=
hter temps (73 F +). Also, all of my tea bubbles or foams. I have detecte=
d that this foam will often be high in HA which I add to certain mixes. It=
 leaves a scum associated with the foaming. So I only use it for certain t=
urf applications. I never use it for foliar applications.

I have found that microbes build up around air vents because the action of =
the air entering the water raises the temp. The temp raise is miniscule (a=
ssociated with air/water interaction) for us but in a bacterial world is qu=
ite a lot. When more bacteria multiply they crowd each other until the use=
 up all the O2 and/or eat up all the food. They don't think about regulati=
ng intake, they just eat until it is all gone. Places in your brewer that =
have less activity can also be places where film will build up. It is virt=
ually impossible to agitate the whole mass of water enough to guarantee tot=
al saturation while not agitating so much that the process rips your critte=
rs to shreds.

Pathogens are extremely small critters and are less susceptible to being sh=
reded by agitation but are very sensitive to temperature changes. So while=
 your aerobes are being shreded by the agitation, the pathogens that would =
normally eat them are not necessarily as active as they should be. (Such as=
 in a digestive system.) and you get build up of these bodies. These need =
to be cleaned.

Now, I don't think that anyone needs to sterilize the tank or aerator unit.=
  However, each person brewing should develop good practices that comport w=
ith conditions where they are working. It just isn't practical to always u=
se chemicals to flush a unit if it is in the field. Sometimes, water for c=
leaning is an issue. Also, what do you do with the stuff you have cleaned =
out? You should have some compost that, as a conscientious gardner, you re=
use.

My systems do not use bags, all the compost and nutrients free-float in the=
 system. I tried bags and screens and filters and drips and injections and=
 everything probably everybody else has tried and found that a system with =
free floating compost and an aeration/agitation system designed to the cont=
ainer size and configuration work the best.

The containers should be seamless. No hoses or outlets if possible. Smoot=
h bottom if possible. However, I do have a system I have designed for 30-3=
5G plastic trash cans. Since these can be purchased for $10, if they start=
 getting an anaerobic smell, the customer can simply use it as a trash can =
and get another. Typically, a customer can get 50 or 60 brews before they =
make a mistake and don't clean right after brewing and let the compost and =
unused water go anaerobic.

Everything I make can be shipped as a kit with easy instructions. The aera=
tors are specific and I usually seal those becase they took a lot of work t=
o design. How they are configured in the tank is also important.

But at any rate, everything should be cleaned as much as possible.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth